No. of Recommendations: 0
We checked the yellowstone lodging yesterday and it was all booked up

Ooops! Except for 27 years ago, we have always camped so I can't recommend a place to stay outside of the park. I just know that West Yellowstone, Montana will probably be your best bet to find a motel and it is closest to the geyser area if you have to stay outside of the park. You can make day trips from West Yellowstone and still see everything in the park.

http://www.westyellowstonenet.com/busdir/motels.htm

Camping in the park. There are a few campgrounds that are first come first serve but they fill up FIRST thing in the morning because they are the smaller campgrounds. I've never stayed at these.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planvisit/services/campgrnd.htm

In the past we have stayed at either Bay Bridge on the eastern side and Madison on the western side. Both of these campgrounds we were able to make sameday reservations in July a few years ago but we had a motorhome and could keep moving if we didn't find a place. If you decided to camp I would suggest making advance reservations. Madison has a tent only area and you might like that. At both campgrounds the campsites are VERY close together.

To camp you will need a tent because it can rain and could get cold at night. If there are only the two of you just don't make the mistake of getting a two man tent! They are tooooo small. Get at least a 3 man tent so you have a little room to move around! You can get small lightweight easy to set up tents. You will need blankets or sleeping bags and maybe sleeping mattress depending on how comfy you want to sleep. I'm sure you could purchase all this stuff in Cody. If you can rent a van maybe you could sleep in that.

Since you are flying in and won't beable to bring a lot of things I would suggest eathing out or you will need a cooking stove, pans, utencils, plates, washing buckets, etc., etc.

They sell wood for campfires at the campgrounds so all you would need would be matches.

You might try getting reservations at the Grand Tetons in the middle of your trip so you could enjoy a good shower:) There are places in the park to take showers.

Hope you have a good trip:)

Utahtea

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.