Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
We converted a traditional IRA account into a Roth IRA account during 2000. Unfortunately, we forgot to check off the box which waived the 10% IRS withholding tax. We subsequently made a deposit (within the allowed timeframe) equal to the withheld tax amount into the Roth IRA and would like to receive back the withheld tax on our 2000 return. Can someone point us in the right direction?

You should have received a 1099-R for the conversion. The box 1 amount goes on line 15a of the 1040 and on line 14a of Form 8606. The box 4 amuont goes on line 58 of the 1040.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.