Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
We couldn't even get Snowbowl to ourselves!!

Sunday we ventured out. Road trip! Single day, no overnighting. Snowbowl is a ski resort in Flagstaff. About three hours from here. The aspen leaves were changing, and obviously it is much cooler than Phoenix (though we do seem to be done with triple-digits until next summer).

The first trip 1poorlady and I have taken since I broke my back in February. It was nice to see the open country from the car, changing from scrub desert to ponderosa pines in the space of those three hours. And then the color...patches of yellow and red on the hillsides.

By the time we were at Snowbowl there were aspens scattered around us in the forest. We had discounted lift tickets, but due to construction at the top we couldn't get off. Just a 20 minute round-trip ride in the fresh air with a nice view of the forest from above.

On the way back down we stopped at a grove of aspen, socially distanced from the surprisingly large accumulation of people, got a few nice shots with the aspens backlit (the yellow really glows if it is backlit), and proceeded to Flagstaff for an early dinner -or late lunch-. Found a place that offered outdoor dining, and the tables were spaced about 10' apart (and there were only about four tables present). Good Yelp reviews, though I wouldn't rate it as highly as the other Yelpers did. Still, it was pretty good. Drove back on 89A through Sedona** around sunset.

And that was our Sunday. First outing that wasn't doctor-related in over 8 months.

1poorguy

**Sedona frankly sucks now. It used to be a quiet town with a good amount of tourist traffic, but you could see red rock everywhere. Now they have built it up so much that you almost can't get a view without roofs marring the splendor. And traffic...OMG. Traffic circles actually helped, but it's still crazy. And LOTS of overpriced shops selling junk you don't really want ("why did I buy this?"), and some good -but crazy-expensive- restaurants. One big tourist trap.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.