Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
We get to keep it!

Just kidding! It's your money, and it always will be.

I'm pretty sure that there is no law that says you must liquidated it or transfer it to your home country. Therefore you can simply keep it here in the US if you want. If there is not much money in it, roll it over to an IRA.

Some governments have receipical tax agreements and may allow you to transfer it from the US to a similar system in your country, but that would probablly trigger a tax and possible a penalty on it.

If you left it here, there should be no reason why you can't simply direct it remotely and then take distributions when you retire.

You don't mention what country you are from, but this would allow you to keep some of your retirement nest-egg in US currency and in a different economy. I'd bet the tax consequences would be less too. Most countries have higher taxes that the US does.

I'm a Yank working overseas with the opposite problem. I want to get my Aussie "Super" to the US IRA.

Good luck.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.