Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
We have offers!! I know that the local real estate market is hot, but we had been warned that it was starting to cool. We weren’t ready to go on the market earlier. Now has proved to be a good time to sell.
Knowing that there are multiple offers, I expected that the buyer’s real estate agents would have been more careful in writing up offers. Sending a letter about how their client really liked the property would be more convincing if it had the correct address. Offering well over the asking price, and then asking for appliances that are not physically present doesn’t give a great impression either. All did get it correct that the range is free standing, and it needed to be specified.
The offer we accepted wasn’t quite the highest offer, but appeared to be the strongest and was the only offer without errors.
Our real estate agent complimented us on getting our home ready to show. They were complimented by other agents on our disclosure documents. Apparently, it is a challenge to get home owners to complete disclosure documents or prepare for inspections. The cost for inspections isn’t trivial. It seems ridiculous to schedule inspections, then not provide the required access. It is common for the inspections to list what couldn’t be inspected, and recommend re-inspection.
Most of getting the house ready for market was listening to our real estate agent. We had the inside professionally cleaned. It makes a significant different. There were some items like one of the dials on the range, I couldn’t get clean. I didn’t have time to do any cleaning better the time we moved out and the cleaning service was scheduled. For some reason I can’t explain, I felt guilty about not doing some cleaning. The house wasn’t extremely dirty, just had been lived in and was now empty. Our agent gently insulted our furniture. We did agree to have our home staged. The change was amazing.
There were a few small items that they didn’t bring up, but we felt should be done. Exterior doors were painted. After the interior or the house was cleaned and staged, cobwebs and dirt on the eaves looked bad. We had the painter also pressure wash the exterior of the house. It made for a much cleaner appearance.
We didn’t go quite as high for an asking price our agent recommended. Prices were already up more than 10% in the last couple of months. I didn’t want to get into a situation where we needed to drop the price. We chose a price that was $10K under what was suggested. It didn’t matter, the offers were all well over the price that our agents suggested. I just didn’t believe that anyone would pay that much for a starter home.
Most of the offers did not have a contingency for property inspection. We had been warned that was risk for the sellers. We were told that if the offer we were going to accept didn’t request time for property inspection, it would be countered with an offer specifying time for property inspection.
I am watching the competition that chose a bad real estate agent. Their house came on the market a few days ahead of us. The house has the same floor plan, but without some of the updating. It is similar condition and in a better location to the same floor plan that closed a couple of weeks ago. The photos are really bad, and the house isn’t staged. With proper handling the property should have sold. They have dropped the price and scheduled another open house.
Print the post  

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.