Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
We have been kind of merely getting by with a minimal amount of accounting for about 10 years and it's stressful just knowing more needs to be done. Finding work and getting it done has consumed so much time. I'm squeezing in time to get our retirement investment going in the right direction at 5-6am and 8-9pm everyday. While most people are either asleep or pleasurably watching TV I am doing stock and related research.
Right now I have invested $5,000 of the money in our IRA's to buy individual stocks and have made $650 in about 3 1/2 months. I don't know if that's considered good but it's a lot better than when a broker that does this as a profession, all day long, was managing it.

The problem I have with any kind of fund it that someone else picked the stocks it contains. There are too many closed door deals that go on than I wouldn't know about, like there were pay offs to get stocks included in certain funds, etc... There is a Motley Fool article called something like "How to make a million in the stock market" that says basically the same thing. Starting this so late in life, I need aggressive companies that want to be sure their stockholders don't dump stocks due to poor performance. I don't just study stock charts. I study the companies, employee moral, whoever is in the driver's seat, etc...

I think you are right about consulting with someone about retirement accounts. That is something that probably only needs to be done one time, getting the accounts set up. I need to get past that part. Schwab sent me a basic email to call them so I think I will do that Monday morning. Sharebuilder's services has been just fine, they just don't appear to offer the type of retirement account I want. They have been extremely helpful to me.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.