Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
No. of Recommendations: 6
We have been working on AI for at least five decades but only recently has AI started to imitate how the brain works. "How the brain works" comes in two flavors, the biology which certainly AI is not imitating, and the procedural which it is. As far as I can tell we "think" in two ways. The one that separates us from other animals is the wakeful, rational, boolean, logical thinking which we have been imitating with software (and hardware) since the days of the Alan Turing. The other we share with most if not with all animals. I have no idea how the biology of it works but the process itself is quite easy to understand, it's "Pattern Matching." What Neural Networks do is store patterns and try to match incoming patters with stored patterns. When you have an "I have seen that before" moment, you just did pattern matching. When you say, "that reminds me of something" that's pattern matching. There are no moral or ethical implications in pattern matching itself. Morals and ethics are just another set of patterns in our brains which is why cultures are different, different moral and ethical patterns in the brain. Under certain conditions you can recall all your life very realistically. Your storage of patterns is gigantic! What is amazing is the brain's ability to almost instantaneously match its inputs to its vast stored data.

BTW, when you ask AI how it arrived at an answer, it does not know, all it knows is that it found a set of appropriate or matching patterns. AI is not rational! It is not boolean. Thinking back to the very first professional program I wrote in 1960 the code I wrote was too big for the computer. I told my boss it did not fit. He told me to make it fit. My subconscious (the pattern-matching brain) gave me the solution, use a table lookup. I have been trying explain that event for decades but could not find the right words to do so.* Now I can! The table is a set of stored patterns. A table lookup is pattern-matching. You don't have to know what the input is, only whether it is or not in the table! That bit of code was a fraction of the boolean code I had tried to use.

All the above might be wrong but that is the way I understand it.

The Captain
only does software not AI

* I though of it as smart vs. dumb algorithms, smart = boolean, dumb = pattern matching.
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.