Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
We have both and find they offer different options. Each has original movies and series. But someone asked for a free option that offers lots of movies. That would be Kanopy.com, available through your local library.
JK
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
There definitely is different movie and tv show offerings. I signed up late last December for $1.99/month along with my Netflix at $12.99/month. I feel like I have plenty of different shows I can watch. Hulu does have advertisements. At least they do with the $1.99 fee. I will have to see what is being offered this coming December to see if I want to continue it. I have no other tv viewing charges but those so I feel I am getting good value.

Robyn
We have Netflix. Is Hulu better for series and movies?

Not really and Netflix is good for all of their original content, to me that is what really makes them a great choice.

When looking for movies they are spread out all over the place. Everyone has rights to things and some are simply not available at all unless you have XYZ service. It really stinks. I wish there was one or two places you can go to rent all the movies availble or pay a monthly fee to watch a certain amount of movies before a rental fee kicks in. By movies I'm talking everything from the origonal Wizard of Oz, Day the Earth stood still to Chernobyl, Apollo 11 and movies that were in the theater a few months ago but not TV shows, real movies.

I've found that a lot of movies can be rented on Amazon across a wide range of years. It seems to be the best service that has the most movies.

Crackle lineup is random and free but you can score some good stuff on it.

I'm waiting to see replies to this.
Some good info:
https://mashable.com/roundup/best-movie-streaming-sites/
No. of Recommendations: 1
Got a note from my wife this morning asking that we cut off Netflix.

My wife is not a "boycott'r". She_we is pretty disgusted (not a strong enough word) by their streaming of "Cuties" and their lame, basically unapologetic response to concerns voiced about it.

In the long run it seems like folks move on and forget on this type issues. People accept even the most egregious media behavior as long as it feeds their appetites. So I don't see a long term effect on NFLX. But I'd wager they have alienated a pretty significant chunk of customers who are really dialed in to pedo grooming of children and the true costs of early oversexualization and sexual trauma.
No. of Recommendations: 7
I really don’t understand the hullabaloo over “Cuties.” (Disclaimer: haven’t watched it, don’t intend to, not interested).

The complaint is that it apparently “sexualizes young girls.” Is it worse than “Toddlers and Tiaras?” “Dance Moms?” Jon-Benet Ramsay photos? “Taxi Driver” from the 70’s?

And—newsflash: young girls are sexualized at younger and younger ages. Some Vogue models are quite young. Brooke Shields was 14 on the Vogue cover.

I’m not condemning your decision: your TV, stream what you like. But for me, I find the age of social media outrage of the hour exhausting.

And I love Netflix. I haven’t had Hulu, but there is a ton of variety on Netflix. I love the shows from overseas.
And you make my point.

Most people will keep using Netflix. Some will be gone.

My problem is more with Netflix itself and the way they promoted Cuties which was at odds with the filmmaker's intent of shining a light on the ugly. Instead NFLX promoted it as titillation. Which was at odds with the film maker was trying to do in depicting the problem of pervasive sexualization of children.

Ebert's take on it:
Controversy aside, “Cuties” is a difficult and challenging film, pushing the idea of “depiction does not equal endorsement” to its limit. It will not surprise me to read responses still accusing the movie of what it condemns. However, Doucouré uses these uncomfortable images to provoke a serious conversation about the sexualization of girls—especially regarding girls of color, the policing of a girl’s sexuality, double standards, the effect of social media on kids, and how children learn these behaviors. To do this, the director shows what it looks like for young girls to emulate what they see in music videos and grown-up dance routines.

It's not clear to me why the filmmaker's crotch shots of "cuties" twerking are needed to get that message across.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/cuties-movie-review-2020
IMHO vis a vis the NFLX current dust up... While some may be cutting them off. Long run they'll be largely unaffected by it.

Though there is the remote possibility that some of the possibility of investigations and charges of inappropriate use of minor actors, child exploitation and scenes shot of minor actors being bandied about (nipple glimpses etc) will get some traction. Even in that case they pay the fine, maybe fire some people and go back to business.

Don't need to make this personal. I was just offering a personal insight into what's swirling around NFLX currently and speculating about how it will affect it's business and stock.

But on some level I'll say it is personal. I won't compare scars -- that does belong somewhere else.
Great example of why how threads are taken way off topic and only 2 of us have tried to answer / provide responses to the original poster.
Gosh, my first post in the thread tried to answer but doesn't count ?

Sorry 3 responses. I did not count my own. I hope someone knows of a magical service with tons of movies that I don't know about.
Perhaps because the advice in it is a bit scummy?

Wessex
Great example of why how threads are taken way off topic and only 2 of us have tried to answer / provide responses to the original poster.

heh, yeah.

OTOH, aren't thread hijacks part of the fun of a vibrant forum with inquiring (wandering?) minds?
Who says you need to choose between Hulu and Netflix? There are so many paid services out there. If you subscribe to one at a time and switch to a different one each month, you get the benefit of all of them while paying an average of around $10 per month.
We have both and find they offer different options. Each has original movies and series. But someone asked for a free option that offers lots of movies. That would be Kanopy.com, available through your local library.
JK