Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
We have had some difficulty getting tax statements for the account historically, but will try to do so.

I don't understand this. The money belongs to the child, so have the child call the brokerage and ask that statements be mailed to the child's address, and ask for the historical records. The child may have to prove that s/he is the age of majority, but the money belongs to the child and not to the custodian, so the child should be able to just request the records. At the same time, the child should ask for the paperwork to get the account retitled in just the child's name and no longer as UGMA. That will also remove the custodian from being in the middle.

And if you've had difficulty getting the statements, I'd be looking back through the history of the account to make sure you can see that all the money is as you expect.

But the money belongs to the child, and the child is most certainly entitled to all the records for the account. I'd be making all those changes yesterday.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.