Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 19
We haven't had anyone with Covid in our Old People's Home resident population of 800, but of course, with a large part of the population over 80 there have been deaths during the last 16 or so months,,,

But in this amazing community people rally round to help the widow or widower, not wanting to intrude, but showing in many ways there will always be friends and support close by.....and of course there is a support group that meets frequently for those who have lost a spouse or friend who choose to go and share some of their feelings with others.

Those who are single can go to the "hospitality" table any time they want to eat with others, and if you prefer privacy and a new life on your own, no one will intrude or nag you....

My newly retired husband, who had a busy work-life coaching Silicon Valley CEOs till he was 79 ( yes he is my Toy Boy) is having a wonderful time:
* swimming daily
* finishing his Memoirs for the family....a gift from a daughter called "Storyworth" which publishes your book, photographs and all.
* organizing his massive menu collection. Both Cornell and the Culinary Institute of America are interested in obtaining it...
* listening to TED talks almost every day ( they are usually 18 minutes)
* working pro bono to help former clients, and also some non-profits....
* playing bridge 3 times a week,
* starting a genealogical project
* reading, planning Date Night, helping our kids and grandkids (in safely distant ways....)
*.We're both waiting for our choir to start again, for concerts, theater trips, etc after the Covid problems, and for the cruises and rail trips we had to cancel....

We have been lucky to have saved, so we have no anxiety about money right now.(who knows what the Stock Market will do)...

Retirement seems a very pleasant stage in our very happy lives. We have health issues but we are in a good place for that too....

And my mother always said if you find yourself in a good situation, make sure you help others to have a happier life..........so I have lots of things I can do....
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.