No. of Recommendations: 3
We need to know it is safe to wash our clothes and dishes, as well as to bathe, and/or drink the water in our local water system.

It’s a virus. It’s not Legionnaire’s disease.
The virus will not replicate in the water system, and even if an infected person takes a dump into the water reservoir, it’ll be so diluted that nobody will get infected.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
President Pelosi....
"What if this virus took out most of the front runners for the Democratic nomination, the President, vice President, and 20 percent of Congress and half the Supreme Court?"

One can dream...
Freakin’ nightmare.

Qazulight
No. of Recommendations: 1
"What if this virus took out most of the front runners for the Democratic nomination, the President, vice President, and 20 percent of Congress and half the Supreme Court?""

And why 'most'? Why not all of them? I don't like any of them.

I guess we could lose the liberal half of the Supreme Court without too much trouble.

Just be sure Pelosi of the Congress is one of those terminated by COVID-19. She would be Prez if Prez and VP died.

And why only half of the Congress? Get rid of the old geezers and career politicians. Anyone who has been there more than 20 years. Career democrats......<g>

t.
President Pelosi....

You may have hit the nail on the head:

[If everybody is saying we ought to work together on this, why isn't anybody working together on this?]

Trump accuses Pelosi of trying to create a panic on coronavirus

“She’s trying to create a panic,” Trump told reporters in a rare appearance in the White House briefing room to discuss the virus, adding there was no reason for one.

Pelosi earlier on Wednesday said, “I don’t think the president knows what he’s talking about” when it comes to fighting the virus.

Trump hit back hard ...

“I think Speaker Pelosi’s incompetent,” he said, adding that he thinks Democrats will lose control of the House.

“I think she’s not thinking about the country,” he added. “She should be saying we have to work together.”

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/484864-trump-accuses-p...
Or, what if, to "protect" people from possible infection while standing in line, the election in November is cancelled?

Steve
No. of Recommendations: 0
What if this virus took out most of the front runners for the Democratic nomination, the President, vice President, and 20 percent of Congress and half the Supreme Court?

Designated Survivor
Or, what if, to "protect" people from possible infection while standing in line, the election in November is cancelled?

Absentee ballots can be mailed in by everyone who wants to vote. So no *valid* reason to cancel.

The bigger problem is one not mentioned: The death of so many Spankee supporters, especially the ones who own memberships in his various properties. No available replacement, so Spankee businesses go bust.

Who wants to stay at the Coronavirus Hotel owned by Spankee? <bankrupt--again>.
No. of Recommendations: 41
Trump accuses Pelosi of trying to create a panic on coronavirus

Trump can accuse Pelosi of whatever he wants, but I'm concerned the US government is not taking this issue seriously. The Boy Scout motto is "Be Prepared." We're not prepared. This article lists in chilling detail how almost the entire US epidemic response infrastructure has been dismantled over the last two years. The NSC, CDC, NIH, DHS, have all had their budgets in this area either gutted or completely eliminated and the staff laid off or reassigned. I highly recommend reading the entire article. Tiny snip below:

In 2017 and 2018, the philanthropist billionaire Bill Gates met repeatedly with Bolton and his predecessor, H.R. McMaster, warning that ongoing cuts to the global health disease infrastructure would render the United States vulnerable to, as he put it, the “significant probability of a large and lethal modern-day pandemic occurring in our lifetimes.” And an independent, bipartisan panel formed by the Center for Strategic and International Studies concluded that lack of preparedness was so acute in the Trump administration that the “United States must either pay now and gain protection and security or wait for the next epidemic and pay a much greater price in human and economic costs.”

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/31/coronavirus-china-trump...

No one ever got hit by a bus they saw coming. We saw this one coming.

COVID-19 was first reported in early January, 2020. By the end of the month it had spread beyond China to Japan, Korea, Europe, and the United States. At this time, 41 million people in China were under lockdown to control the spread (now about 100 million). Just ten days later Pres. Trump submitted a budget to Congress recommending slashing spending for CDC and NHS. It is clear he has not been taking these warnings seriously.

This week, it was reported that COIV-19 is now uncontained in the United States. No one knows if this will continue, but if it does we may need quarantine measures like China and Italy. These measures along with increased airport screening and border protection will be implemented by DHS. This same week acting head DHS Chad Wolf testified before Congress that he was unaware of even basic facts about Coronavirus, including how it is spread and how many cases there are. He made false statements about the fatality rate, falsely stating it was the same regular flu. He was unaware of how many cases there were currently, how many cases were anticipated, unaware if enough respirators were available, and could not describe how the disease is transmitted. He also falsely stated that a vaccine would be available in a few months. A vaccine is at least a year out, more likely two years, and possibly never.

If the acting head of DHS can't be bothered to know this stuff, who does know? Is there someone whose job it is to know?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/02/25/chad-wolf...

Acting Deputy Homeland Security Secretary Ken Cuccinelli couldn't figure out the paywall at the Johns Hopkins tracking site:

https://theweek.com/speedreads/897826/member-trumps-coronavi...

That's bad enough, but how come he has to use a 3rd party website? Why aren't there official US government statistics that he has access to? This is direct national security threat, so isn't it DHS's job to gather this information? If not, whose job is it?

https://theweek.com/speedreads/897826/member-trumps-coronavi...

And why do we only have acting heads in these roles? Why aren't there appointed officials doing this? Cuccinelli is a political hack. He has no expertise in anything. How come we don't have experts in these positions?

Which brings us to the top leadership. Just one month ago, it was claimed coronavirus was "totally under control."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/22/trump-on-coronavirus-from-ch...

But as noted above, just this week it was reported that COIV-19 is now uncontaminated in the United States and Mike Pence was appointed coronavirus czar in order to get it under control. Why wasn't this done a month ago? And why Mike Pence? Pence has stated many times that smoking doesn't cause cancer, believes that gay people can become straight if they pray enough, and is widely credited for bungling Indiana's response to an HIV outbreak. I have no confidence in his ability to understand science.

"Be Prepared" doesn't mean "panic." But it doesn't mean stick your head in the sand either. It means "be prepared." We're not prepared. And I have no confidence that top leaders in our government are taking this issue seriously.
No. of Recommendations: 13
this just in. Whistleblower complaint that Trump appointees who overruled CDC coronavirus precautions allowed untrained/poorly protected workers to handle the inflected coronavirus patients returned from Asia. These untrained (and unquarantined) workers could now be infected themselves and are "loose in the wild" within the US.

HHS whistleblower claims US workers received coronavirus evacuees without proper precautions
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/27/politics/hhs-whistleblower-co...

</snip>

If you let racism, ignorance, or religious folklore (e.g., Mike Pence) inform your health policy decisionmaking during a pandemic, more people are going to die.

intercst
"Be Prepared" doesn't mean "panic." But it doesn't mean stick your head in the sand either. It means "be prepared." We're not prepared. And I have no confidence that top leaders in our government are taking this issue seriously.

I don't trust this government to "protect" me or anyone else from this virus, or even to issue instructions, protocols, or checklists to the public or health care facilities. Perhaps some of the states are better prepared, since quarantines, emergency restrictions on movement, disaster relief, and healthcare delivery are often coordinated at the state rather than federal level. Many of the "police" actions and restrictions on movement are only allowed at the state level under our federalist system, anyway.

I have no idea which states have the best planning in place. Fortunately for me, DW has been in aggressive "prepper" mode all week and she has assembled enough stuff for us to shelter-in-place for several weeks. We will have to come up with ways to have things delivered or pick them up if we have to self-quarantine for a long period of time until this pandemic burns out.

My biggest concerns at the moment are

1) whether or not DW and I have unknowingly already been exposed to the virus via friends, neighbors, doctors, store clerks, or restaurant workers, and

2) whether or not the public water system can be trusted not to spread the virus.

We need to know it is safe to wash our clothes and dishes, as well as to bathe, and/or drink the water in our local water system.

Folks who live out in the countryside and have private wells and septic systems actually may have an edge over city and suburban dwellers if this virus is spread as easily and aggressively as some of the reports suggest.

I'm afraid anyone who is old, has a heart condition, a lung condition, or other chronic illness will be so much at risk as this thing spreads that we will have no alternative but to self-quarantine, rather than to rely on the government to actually help us at all.

=:-o
Hound

Your point about country living holds for me. I have my own well, and my neighbors and husband live out in the boondocks. With my bizarre immune system and HIV infection I am going to pull back into a cave when (not if) the infection arrives in my part of Mexico.

David fb
No. of Recommendations: 6
this just in. Whistleblower complaint that Trump appointees who overruled CDC coronavirus precautions allowed untrained/poorly protected workers to handle the inflected coronavirus patients returned from Asia. These untrained (and unquarantined) workers could now be infected themselves and are "loose in the wild" within the US.

Just heard on CNN that US has insufficient and suspect test kits for the virus. They can only test small numbers and results TBD.

South Korea has kits than can test a thousand patients a day each ... but CDC is not interested ... even though they could be in US tomorrow according to the person reporting the story.

Anymouse
Is barfing a symptom of coronavirus? No? It is only a symptom of political collapse derangement.

BARF!

David fb
Some of the most chilling parts were actually at the bottom of the story:

Trump announced during a White House news conference on Wednesday that he was putting Pence "in charge" of the administration's coronavirus response, adding that Pence will report directly to him. Minutes later, Azar said that he was "still chairman of the task force"

So even though there is a potential public health crisis, there is still no clear identified leader of the task force and members are unsure of their roles and responsibilities.

Later:

Azar also said the coronavirus poses a low risk to the American public, despite warnings from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to the contrary.

"The immediate risk to the American public is and continues to be low," he said at the briefing.
The CDC website's page on the coronavirus states that "the potential public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, both globally and to the United States."

Different federal agencies are issuing different conclusions, which means there is no coordination/communication between agencies.

We're almost two months in, and they haven't even agreed on basic stuff like who is in charge or what the threat level is.
Is barfing a symptom of coronavirus? No? It is only a symptom of political collapse derangement.

BARF!

David fb,

I asked because the virus has a higher mortality rate among the elderly. That title is not all that old as I am now among the group as it starts at 60.

Here is a list of the current candidates and their ages.

Sanders - 79
Bloomberg - 78
Biden - 77
Warren - 71
Klobuchar - 60
Buttigieg - 38

Then look a the current administration.

Trump - 74
Pence - 60
Pompeo - 57
Mnuchin - 58
Esper - 56
Barr - 70
Bernhardt - 49
Perdue - 74
Ross - 83
Scalia - 57
Azar - 53
Carson - 69
Chao - 67
Brouillette - 58
DeVos - 62
Wilkie - 58
Wolf -44
Haspei - 64

In the Senate there are 34 Senators under the age of 60.

The leadership of the house is run by octogenarians.

Pelosi - 80
Hoyer - 81
Clyburn -80
Lujan - 48
Jeffries - 50
McCarthy - 55
Scakuse - 55
Cheney - 54
Palmer - 56

There are almost 200 out of the 435 members of the House of Representatives that are over 60.

6 of the 9 Supreme Court justices are over 60.

I would be very interested in the demographics of the response to this virus. The data is very slim and is to the point of anecdotes and casual observations.

Cheers
Qazulight
What if this virus took out most of the front runners for the Democratic nomination, the President, vice President, and 20 percent of Congress and half the Supreme Court?

Forgetting that for now, a more pertinent question is what happens if the Dems have to call off their Milwaukee convention because of the virus?

DB2
No. of Recommendations: 4
what happens if the Dems have to call off their Milwaukee convention

They vote via a phone app.
I hear they have one that was tested a couple of weeks ago.

Mike
"what happens if the Dems have to call off their Milwaukee convention"

COuld be no one wants to fly at that time.....and congregate with a thousand others.....

They use Hollywood to fake it.....and do it in virtual reality......

Androids there.... computer generated people and reporting.....

then it will come out the way the party wants......<g>

t.
Qazulight,

"To date, looking at data from China (below), most (94%) deaths from COVID-19 have occurred in those aged over 50 years of age, with more than half (51%) in those aged over 70 years. The age group most at risk for death are those aged over 80 years."

https://virologydownunder.com/so-you-think-youve-about-to-be...

Someone else at TMF posted this link, and I don't know who or on which board. I did read the article, which is quite informative. The title is "So you think you’re about to be in a pandemic?"

Owlish
Notehound,

"I'm afraid anyone who is old, has a heart condition, a lung condition, or other chronic illness will be so much at risk as this thing spreads that we will have no alternative but to self-quarantine, rather than to rely on the government to actually help us at all."

I agree with you. I've already started figuring out where I should live. I figure that if we have a pandemic in the US, I should move to quarters in which my dog and I can live alone. I'd rather go into self-protection mode than die. My current plan is to buy or rent a small house.

It didn't take long for the virus to spread in China, so I think I'd better be prepared within a month, maybe 6 weeks. I have a heart condition and I do not intend to live with anyone who may get sick, especially those whose activities will expose them to the virus. My retired husband goes out every day, and is blissfully optimistic about this virus. He is not fond of engaging in foresight -- prepare for the worst, hope for the best. This is why I am not going to live with him if the virus is running rampant in the US.

This article, which I found out about when someone posted it on one of TMF's boards, has a section about preparedness: https://virologydownunder.com/so-you-think-youve-about-to-be...

Owlish

The virus will not replicate in the water system, and even if an infected person takes a dump into the water reservoir, it’ll be so diluted that nobody will get infected.
AdvocatusDiaboli writes,

<<We need to know it is safe to wash our clothes and dishes, as well as to bathe, and/or drink the water in our local water system.>>

</snip>

I think you're correct with regard to viral transmissiblity within a public water system. But even seasoned public health professionals who know better may be required to do crazy stuff to avoid a public panic.

Portland Dumps 38 Million Gallons of Water After Man Pees in Reservoir
https://time.com/66459/portland-reservoir-pee/

</snip>

Imagine when we eventually find a coronavirus-infected body floating in a reservoir? Not only will the public demand that the reservoir be drained, but they'll probably want the miles of pipe leading from the reservoir dug up and replaced, too.

intercst
What if? Crono Virus... The Boy Scout motto is "Be Prepared." We're not prepared.

Just wash your hands and you are prepared. What else is there?

The Coronavirus is a cold virus that has been around for ever.

The most common cold virus is a Rhinovirus and this year's flu from the Rhinovirus is deadlier than the Coronavirus.

Question: What did we do to prepare for this year's flu from the Rhinovirus?

Answer: Nothing - just remember to avoid crowds, if you can help it - and wash your hands.

-=Ajax=-
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

Forgetting that for now, a more pertinent question is what happens if the Dems have to call off their Milwaukee convention because of the virus?

A *VERY* good question!

The Republicans could call off their convention without much difficulty since their presidential candidate is a sure thing.

But, Warren, Bloomberg, Buttigieg, Biden and Sanders would have to duke it out online or draw straws in the absence of a convention.

DB2,

In such an instance, Sanders or whoever has the most delegates will most likely become the Democratic nominee. I expect the nominee will be Sanders, because he is promising the most free stuff, including student debt forgiveness and free healthcare in the wake of COVID-19.

COVID-19 will usher in President Sanders with his promises of free everything.

;-)
<Sorry, you can only recommend a post to the Best of once.>

Owlish,

The Age/Death Rate chart alone, if publicized widely, could stem some of the panic selling behavior in the markets and calm the nerves of all those under 80 years old who fear that the government cannot protect us from this disease.

https://virologydownunder.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/COV...

Thanks for directing us to this important article, which should be updated and disseminated wherever people are panicking and selling or just acting crazy as a result of the media fear-mongering and government ineptitude on display over the last week.

https://virologydownunder.com/so-you-think-youve-about-to-be...
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

DB2,

In such an instance, Sanders or whoever has the most delegates will most likely become the Democratic nominee. I expect the nominee will be Sanders, because he is promising the most free stuff, including student debt forgiveness and free healthcare in the wake of COVID-19.

I'm afraid you may be right, but there's no such thing so the taxpayers will end up footing the bill.

Desert (ain't no such thing as a free lunch) Dave
No. of Recommendations: 6
I'm afraid anyone who is old, has a heart condition, a lung condition, or other chronic illness will be so much at risk as this thing spreads that we will have no alternative but to self-quarantine, rather than to rely on the government to actually help us at all.

=:-o

Amusing thought occurs, all those religious types that preach going to a better place after death are fighting like cats and dogs to stay ... while we old atheists figure it's been a pretty good run and the disutilities of living with old age maybe make it a good time to leave?

Sorry guys, couldn't resist ... rarely can.

Anymouse
COVID-19 will usher in President Sanders with his promises of free everything.

Hmmm actually that is probably a well deserved appropriate compensation for the current GIC?

Nothing personal you know but he did start off with us on a massive insult campaign and tariffs on our steel and aluminum? Never thought I'd see something good in a market crash?

Anymouse <balance in everything and enjoying the entertainment>

OT - https://www.tsn.ca/memories-of-sidney-crosby-s-golden-goal-a...

OLYMPICS

Feb 26, 2020

Memories of Crosby's golden goal ahead of 10-year anniversary

Friday marks 10 years since Sidney Crosby scored in overtime to lead Canada past the United States in the gold-medal men's hockey final at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.
Here's how some prominent Canadians — and a few Americans — recall the moment Crosby beat U.S. goalie Ryan Miller for that memorable 3-2 win.
The Canadian Press

There are also issues with campaign rallies and voting venues.

DB2
Assuming we take the 94 percent and round it to 100 percent for roughing these numbers in, we get a mortality rate for those between 50 and 70 of between 8 and 36 percent. It is a little higher for those over 70.

So worst case scenario, we can expect that if all the Presidential candidates get this virus, one of them will be dead before the Democratic convention. Moreover, we (worst case assuming the virus overwhelms the medical establishment) the loss of:

3 administration members.
22 senators
120 or more congressman
and
2 or more Supreme Court justices.

Cheers
Qazulight
The only way to catch this from the water system would be if there is someone infected living in the same house as you. If the sewage from that person somehow contaminates your water (through defective pipes), then you might get infected.
There are also issues with campaign rallies and voting venues.

DB2

========================================

Well we know that Trump loves campaign rallies so he isn't going to stop until he gets sick or his supporters get sick.

jaagu