Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
We often request the entire trust document not just the certificate.

Here in California, we have a law that requires financial institutions to accept a Certificate of Trust in lieu of the entire trust. Is that not true in other states? Seems to be a pretty common sense thing.

And I still maintain that it is no business of a financial institution as to who is the ultimate beneficiary of the trust. The institution has no need to deal with the beneficiaries. Their dealings are entirely with the Trustee.

A quick link of others stating the same.

That article is all about pushing back when banks ask for the whole trust instead of accepting a Certificate. And apparently Utah has laws similar to CA, in that banks and other financial institutions are required to accept the Certificate.

If I may quote the tail end of the article:
...eventually, we always end up at the very same ending place–someone at the bank acknowledges the existence of Utah Code 75-7-1013 and also acknowledges that the bank does not REALLY need all of the trust papers. I may send a few other select pages to the bank on rare occasions, but never, never, never do we provide the bank with the entire trust agreement. Never.

That Utah code section sounds pretty similar to CA Probate Code 18100.5 https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.x...

I encourage folks to learn the law regarding this in their own state. An internet search on "Certificate of Trust" and including their state name should be reasonably productive.

(On a quick test, it looks like NY, MA, IL, and FL have laws similar to CA and UT. I'd hazard a guess that my random checking did not uncover the only states with these laws.)

We often request the entire trust document not just the certificate.

Yes. I know I'm quoting the same sentence again. After reading the article you linked to a second time, it sounds to me like you are in the position of that "dutiful employee" - doing exactly what your employer tells you to do. And that's great. But it does not necessarily make the request appropriate under state law.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.