Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
We pay income tax to the federal government and the state of California.
After all, my income is $0.

So - since you pay CA taxes, I assume you live there.
As a resident of CA, your income isn't $0 if you file as Married-filing-separately.
Instead, it's 1/2 the joint income of the two of you.
So it's not really 0 as far as your form 1040 is concerned - it's >$160K from your other statements.
see pub 555
look at the parts about "community income" and "community property state"
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.