Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 5
We retired 3 1/2 years ago. We used to love going to Costco but stopped that about two years ago when we got a puppy. Costco took at least 3 hours out of our day and sometimes $300.
The bottom line was that we used to waste alot by going to Costco. We are only two people so no longer needed all that stuff.
I cut coupons on Sundays and we found a supermarket that is fantastic.
It's called Market Basket and they have lots of them here in Massachusetts. Overall some of the prices are 50$ cheaper than when we lived in Brooklyn, close to Manhattan.
If an item is on sale, buy a couple of them.
Meat is expensive. Hubby grew up on meat and potatoes as did I.
Cut down on the meat portions and supplement with rice, white or brown, or potatoes or faux potatoes such as cauliflower if you are going low carb.
We stock up on paper towels and tp when on sale. Our local supermarket sells 6 rolls of their own paper towels for $3.33. I've never seen it that cheap anywhere.
Go to the dollar store for wrapping paper, tape, and lots of other stuff.
I bought Christmas wrap three years ago for 50 cents a roll. I still have it.
I purchased a huge bag of dry kibble for my dog. It averaged about $2 a pound for a very high quality kibble, but you had to buy the big bag. I immediately stored it in containers so it will last for awhile.
I started using powdered milk again. Haven't used that since the kids were little and we were always broke. Now 45 years later I have no problem using it to make high protein shakes or sugar free puddings.
There are so many ways to save money on groceries but it requires time and effort. I have both!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.