Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
We set-up a trust a while back. The only thing in it right now is the house. I'm thinking I should probably also put our brokerage accounts into it (avoid probate, etc). However, those accounts generate income and gains from time to time. Would we need to file separate tax returns for the trust in that event? Because the ownership becomes the name of the trust rather than my name (beyond the fact that the trust name includes my name).
==============================
This is a question for the lawyer you worked with when you set up the trust. He/she knows what your overall goals and plans were all about.

As to whether your trust holding the investment assets would require a separate tax return to be filed depends on all the provisions of the trust, as to whether it is a "grantor trust". If it is a revocable trust, then it is, for example. If so, then you must (not an option) report all the trust income on your personal return. You can keep the 1099s being filed with your personal SSN and skip filing a 1041 for the trust.

But this is something to discuss with your lawyer.

Bill
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.