Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
We soured on renting when the owner/landlord said he would not be renewing the lease because his daughter decided she wanted to live next to mom & pop. A few months earlier we had installed wall to wall carpeting in the living room, because we had planned to stay in the house for several more years.

We soured on renting when the owner/landlord sold the house, and the new owner wanted to live there himself instead of renewing the lease. We'd just installed a pantry, with the idea we'd be there for a few more years. We'd also deep cleaned, whitened the grout on the bathroom floor, weeded the gardens, etc, so the house showed a lot better than it had the year before, when it was on the market. And of course, it looked a lot better with our art, furniture, and house plants than with the stager's. I saw its sale as a case of "no good deed goes unpunished."
Similar to years earlier, when a friend had moved into a shabby rental, cleaned & painted, and at lease renewal time when the landlord visited he realized it was worth more (as a result of her efforts), and bumped up her rent by a significant amount.

At least our landlord did what he could: gave us right of first refusal to buy (which we didn't take advantage of because we planned to move cross-country in a few years), and waived a month's rent for our troubles.

...we ripped out the carpeting...

Presumably you re-used it in your next place. We left the pantry, as it was custom for the space, would've been difficult to move. Turns out, our next place already had a pantry anyway. In both places, we left the shrubs we planted, and some other minor improvements.

In our current place, if the landlord wants to sell, we'll buy it. But if he wants it for his daughter, or another relative, we'd be out. There's no rent control here.
So there is that element of uncertainty, but it's offset by some confidence that if we have to leave this house, we could buy another one with no trouble, financially. Looking at what's on the market, there are some houses that would be great with some modifications. I'd rather not move (again) or do renovations (again), but it's doable if it comes to that. And if I do move, I'd rather do it on my own timetable; but if I can't, that'd be a nuisance but not terrible.

Anyway, yes, generally non-financial factors control the rent-vs-buy decision. It's still nice to have a financial rule of thumb to consider.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.