Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
We spent just under $34,000 on health care costs, other insurance and property taxes alone in 2011.

Our private health insurance premiums were $13,000 for both of us, with $1,500 deductibles and 30% co-pays. Plus there are all the services that aren't covered -- dental, chiropractic, naturopathic and acupuncture. I expect the insurance premiums, deductibles and co-pays to go down when I start Medicare at the end of this year and DW a year later.

We're paying much higher property taxes than before I retired but we got rid of the mortgage, so our monthly housing expenses are a lot less. We had only owned our first modest home, near Silicon Valley, for 6½ years, but the increase in equity enabled us to get a much nicer place in the Portland area. That was a case of right place, right time. If only we had gotten into the CA housing market decades before, like Montecito Man did, the equity would have provided for a castle up in OR. And having rich parents, like he does, wouldn't hurt either.;)

So it's obvious that this household isn't going to do it on $34k. We've got to eat, stay warm, drive and take the occasional trip, not to mention the upkeep and repairs that come with a house that's not new.

--fleg
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.