No. of Recommendations: 2
We would LIKE to do without him. So what is your problem? We invite you to take him! What's holding you up? You want him.... he's yours! Enjoy. I'm sure he will make a loyal Republican.....until the next opportunity arises that catches his fancy....

AM

================

I have been a lifelong Democrat. I was a few weeks too young to vote in 1968, otherwise Gene McCarthy would have gotten my vote, or Hubert Humprey if I had too. anyone but Nixon. The first time I was old enough to vote was for George McGovern. I voted for the losing candidate in Presidential elections in every election after that until 1992.

One thing I learned is that the winners always put together a coalition of various factions and interest groups. Nixon did that, Reagan did that, Clinton did that. Clinton was able to keep the Naderite type voters in his camp, where Gore couldn't and that was enough votes to give Bush the election. Same thing with Kerry.

Liebermans position on nationals security and the war are greatly disappointing to me. But my emotions don't mean squat in the grand scale of things. Only voting for people we 'like' or who pass our personal litmus tests is a luxury that can only be afforded by voters who don't care if they win or not.

thus, by excluding candidates we don't like, we make it more likely that the republicans keep winning. The Karl Roves and Lee Atwater laugh at attitudes like yours.

On almost every issue but national security Lieberman is an old style democrat. When you say 'We would LIKE to do without him' you do not speak for this lifelong democrat, and I can assure you, I want these lunatic quasi-fascists who dominate the republican party out of power so they can't do even more damage to the world.

Is your emotional well being more important than getting the fascists out? Is your need to teach the Joe Liebermans of the world a lesson for their 'disloyalty' more important then the democrats capturing the Senate?

BTW, if the Democrats do retake the Senate, they can hold hearings on how the war in Iraq started, on spying on Americans, on torture in Guantanamo, on Cheney's ties to Haliburton, on Bush's family ties to the Carlyle group, on dozens of things that they can't do now because they don't have the votes. The Republicans have successfully blocked hearings and investigations into all of these issues and more because they have a majority in the Senate.

I would rather retake the senate with Joe Liberman, gain all those committee chaimanships and be able to put REAL pressure on the Bush administration, then to be impotently shreiking from the sidelines.

Would you rather win, or would you rather be right? Self righteousness is not only on the right side of the aisle.

Dov

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.