No. of Recommendations: 5
Leave Monday evening for Athens, via Paris. Overnight in Piraeus, ferry to Santorini for 3 days in Oia, ferry back, and then 3 days in Athens. Then a week in Paris.

The weather looks to be lovely.

We have our new GOES numbers, so that should help a bit. Kinda tight connection in CDG (1 hr. 40 mins.), so hoping for no major delay on the flight to Paris.

Strictly carry-on, using newish international-sized rollies.

Yippee!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Good luck with that connection. We flew through there March 2016. It was a close call.

Oia is a nice little town and it's not far from Akrotiri.

I am trying to convince myself that we can do carry-on only for our Southern Mediterranean cruise next March. There will be climate changes from Rome with stops down to Algeria and then up to Valencia, so my confidence is not high. And Lufthansa allows only one carry-on item for Economy and Premium Economy, including my purse. I'm torn, but the last two trips, our luggage has not made the transfer. It sat in the Moscow airport for 2 1/2 days and, for the other, it arrived at our Istanbul hotel the next afternoon. Thank goodness I always make sure we have a change of clothes in carry-on.

Have a great time!

Chili
No. of Recommendations: 3
Chili, have you double-checked re Lufthansia carry-on rules? As I read their page, it permits a purse/briefcase item in addition to the one carry-on: http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Carry-on-baggage/. (Scroll down to "Other carry-on baggage rules".)

I don't know how strictly they enforce the weight limit. But it is a German airline, after all. :-)
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks. I'll check it again. It did seem arbitrary but, as you said, German.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I wouldn't test the limits or you may end up checking your bag (with any associated fees). German or not. I believe a continuous booking from the US allows you to go by the international flight baggage limits. But after that you're going to be subject to any local rates, so best to figure out the most restrictive limit you will encounter and pack accordingly.

FWIW, I did the better part of three weeks in Europe with a single carry-on (plus camera bag). Made both flights and trains so much easier. As long as you're willing to wash clothes in a sink from time to time, it's easy. Though if you're not as cheap as me you could find a local laundromat (or equivalent). Or if you just don't want to spend two hours in a laundromat when you're in Paris...I didn't want to do that either, so just hung the undies to dry in the bathroom. :-)

I've posted on it before so won't bore everyone again. The Rick Steves video was helpful.
Pretty sure I could do it. One hitch is that I pack an old feather pillow because I've concluded that it's not worth risking having to try to sleep on awful pillows and being miserable and sleep-deprived for an entire trip. BTDT. Too old to change. I put it in one of those suck-the-air-out bags, but it still takes up space.

We'll be on a Viking cruise and the ship has free launderettes, so that problem is solved, and is why I think we can do it.

Fortunately, I'm an obsessive trip planner and begin slowly packing a month or so in advance, which gives me time to rearrange luggage, what's being taken, remember essentials, etc.
We have our new GOES numbers, so that should help a bit. Kinda tight connection in CDG (1 hr. 40 mins.), so hoping for no major delay on the flight to Paris.

At a normal airport 1 hour and 40 minutes should be plenty, but CDG was designed by the love child of Franz Kaufka and M.C. Escher.

Love Oia though! That's the place to stay in Santorini.
Posting from CDG, waiting to board flight to Athens. Took tram, walked for 10 minutes, 2 checkpoints, but all good. Nice tailwind got us in early.
Great! Enjoy the trip.
I am trying to convince myself that we can do carry-on only for our Southern Mediterranean cruise next March.

You can do it!

peace & luggage
t
You can do it!

If tconi says I can, I know I can! :)

I managed to do it for an 8-day trip to PA and NYC in September and there's another trial run to Santa Fe coming up, so I'm getting in some good practice.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Chili
I managed to do it for an 8-day trip to PA and NYC in September and there's another trial run to Santa Fe coming up, so I'm getting in some good practice.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Chili

We will be in Santa Fe October 20-25. Looks like we will miss you?

We can pack for a month in Europe with only carry on. For a driving trip to Sedona and Santa Fe we resemble the Sultan's baggage caravan.

CNC
We will be in Santa Fe October 20-25. Looks like we will miss you?

We can pack for a month in Europe with only carry on. For a driving trip to Sedona and Santa Fe we resemble the Sultan's baggage caravan.

Yes, our ships will practically pass in the night.

Y'all usually upgrade to business class, which has fewer restrictions than Premium Economy. We got upgraded to business last year on Air France. Far superior to back in just-above-steerage Premium Economy. I always worry a bit that some arbitrary rule will pop up and we'll have to check a bag anyway and we are flying Lufthansa: You VILL obey all zee rulz!

Chili
No. of Recommendations: 4
Checking in from Athens, after a few days on Santorini.

The 8 hour ferry ride from Piraeus to Santorini and then the 8 hour return were okay for me--the weather was lovely, seas were calm, and the ferry had maybe 1/4 the passengers of high season. But my wife will be fine if she never rides a ferry again. We sailed aboard the big Blue Star ferries. I had no idea that you would never be out of sight of at least one island, and often many.

We stayed in Oia (pronounced "ee-ya"), at the top tip of Santorini, in a suite that was dug out of the cliffside. It was lovely, the staff were very hospitable, and the views were beyond compare. The town itself is moderately interesting, with narrow walkways and stairs. Sometimes, the side toward the sea was open, and sometimes both sides were lined with small shops and restaurants. There must be 100 jewelry shops in this one little town. Most of Oia will shut down in a couple of weeks, so the crowds were relatively thin. Even so, when one or two cruise ships anchored for the day, the crowded walkways were not my cup of tea. I cannot imagine being here in high season, esp. with a blazing sun.

I found the rest of the island to be uninspiring, to tell the truth. We did not make it to Akrotiri, at the far other end, which has interesting archaeological sites. The hour-long ride over winding roads deterred us. The beaches are also not readily reachable on foot from Oia, alas. It's not that they're all that far (maybe 2 to 3 miles), but you'd walk along roads filled with vehicle traffic, no walkway, and no shade.

Would I come back? Actually, quite possibly. But I'd do it in April, or perhaps even late March. And I'd feel no obligation to go beyond the porch of our suite, except for meals and maybe a taxi ride to a beach. It'd be a great place to finish a writing project.

After a night in Piraeus, we arrived in Athens yesterday afternoon. It's still sunny and warm. We walked from Monastiraki Station to our hotel, which is almost to Syntagma Square (site of the Parliament and various anti-austerity demonstrations). This part of the city has many streets closed to vehicular traffic. Cafes are everywhere. People are everywhere. I thought I would not like Athens all that much, but I was very wrong. Athens is wonderful. The people are wonderful. History is everywhere, and Athenians are deservedly proud of their city. We spent most of today at the Acropolis and the newish Acropolis Museum (very good). By all means, invest the extra 10 Euros and get a guide at the Acropolis. (It also saves you from standing in line for tickets.) We've mostly been eating local food, but tonight we had Chinese--on Niki St., near Syntagma, which has many international-themed restaurants. It was a casual place, with people talking across tables. (English appears to be the universal language here; most signs are in Greek and English.) The food was great.

We fly to Paris tomorrow afternoon.
Mr. Fungi: I found the rest of the island to be uninspiring, to tell the truth.

I haven't been to Santorini, but I would hope to see some of the archaeological sites there. I understand the volcano eruption (c. 1600 BCE) covered a lot of perfectly preserved sites.

CNC
Wasn't Santorini the seat of Minoan civilization? Is there nothing left to view (museums, ruins, etc)?

I have no idea, I'm askin'. :-)
Wasn't Santorini the seat of Minoan civilization? Is there nothing left to view (museums, ruins, etc)?

I have no idea, I'm askin'. :-)

You askin' me? You need a historian/archaeologist. My limited fund of information says Crete (Knossos) was the seat of the Minoan civilization. Santorini (Thera) was a colony. The eruption on Thera (c. 1700BCE) may have caused the end on the Cretan civilization, and in fact made it possible for the Greeks/Mycenaean cultures to develop. The Mycenaeans were pretty much barbarians, but they became the Greeks. That eruption likely caused tidal waves around the Mediterranean, possibly ending the Minoan civilization, or at least crippling it. I personally believe that tidal wave may have been the source of the several flood stories in the eastern Mediterranean, including the Noah legend.

The Egyptians complained that "The Islands were restless" after the eruption, maybe referring to the Mycenaeans being free to invade all the islands now the Minoans were reduced to very little power.

But the artifacts on Santorini are apparently in perfect condition, and they are beautiful. Bull jumping frescoes, etc. I wanna see it.

CNC
What the Count said about the Minoans. To add: the area continues to be visited by earthquakes, including a massive one (two, actually) in 1956 that triggered a 100-foot tsunami that wiped out many structures and killed scores.

We'll visit Akrotiri another time. (My wife's half Greek, and we'll be back.) It was a bridge too far for this brief visit.

We're heading to Athens airport now, on the Metro from Syntagma. Heading to Paris.

Sweet Home Hotel in Athens was perfect.
I haven't been to Santorini, but I would hope to see some of the archaeological sites there.

Akrotiri was really interesting. It's a huge excavation under a roof, probably because of the sun and heat there, as well as open walls for air circulation.

Oia was marginally interesting, IMO, and a couple of hours there were plenty. The stark white buildings set against the sapphire sea and, if you visit off-season, the open plaza, are gorgeous. The tiny alley ways lined with shops were a nice, short walk, but that's about it. As MrFungi said, I would not want to be there in high-season. Our guide said that the plaza area in high-season is shoulder-to-shoulder. We were the only group there in early-April 2016. Perfect weather.

I don't recall it being anywhere near an hour ride between Akrotiri and Oia, but we were on a bus and perhaps distracted.

Minoans were associated with Crete and the Palace of Knossos, my favorite archaeological site ever, though I was there decades ago.

Chili