Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
We've been making some post-tax contributions to IRAs, and some backdoor ROTH conversions. We should probably continue that, though AJ has been saying the rules are changing on that (as I recall), and of course they could continue to change in the coming years.

The rules that may change are currently part of the Build Back Better plan. So your guess is as good as mine as to whether any/all of it will become law. The new rules would eliminate the ability to do conversions of any after-tax contributions in all retirement plans (IRA, 401(k), etc.) At this point, I would not expect there to be any retroactive restrictions, because that would be a huge mess for those who have already done conversions this year. But if that part of Build Back Better passes, I wouldn't be surprised if those types of conversions had an expiration date sometime during this year - either as of the effective date of the law, or maybe the beginning of a specific quarter, like July 1, 2021. So for anyone who has any after-tax contributions that they want to convert, doing the conversion sooner rather than later would probably be advisable.

I will also point out that preventing conversion of after-tax contributions into a Roth account does raise revenues, because it keeps after-tax contributions in Traditional accounts, where the earnings will be taxed upon withdrawal. Even if there was an off-ramp that allowed a one-time withdrawal of all after-tax contributions because they could no longer be converted (not that I've seen this in any of the current proposals), it still gets the money back into a taxable account, where earnings will be taxed. And because the impact is limited to those who are both well-off enough to make after-tax contributions and then actually do make those contributions, the number of voters it would impact is limited. So even if it doesn't pass as a part of Build Back Better, I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up in a future bill, no matter which party is proposing the bill.

The Build Back Better proposals also had rules limiting all conversions based on income - either immediately or at some point in the future, depending on the version - which basically reinstitute the rules that Roth accounts originally started with, although with higher income limits. These rules also raise revenues by keeping money in Traditional accounts, where the earnings will be taxed upon withdrawal. I also wouldn't be surprised to see this type of rule show up in a future bill, no matter which party is proposing the bill. So again, getting any conversions done sooner rather than later is probably advisable.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.