No. of Recommendations: 1
We've been updated several weeks now. We opted to continue with Verizon's services, rather than drive a ways and fight parking at an Apple Store. Local VZ guru was out of the Pro DW wanted, but down the road 15 miles, another VZ Store had what we wanted.. had to wait a little s they were busy, but once connected to the Tech, native 20 minutes out the door, new Pro, Pro Max, Screen cover for the Pro Installed, cases for both and off we went..

We traded in our 8 & 8+, the deal for the 8+ was applied immediately to the sale, the 8's is spread out over the 2 year Plan.. I also dropped an iPad Mini off the Plan. We bought them outright, so in all of it, our monthly bill dropped to near $100 for both of us, with a 6Gb Data Plan.. Lowest its been in years..

So we kept our old iPhones, new ones in the sealed boxes, with a padded envelope to send them to VZ once we Activated the new iPhones.. Before sending, and after the new ones are set up, there's a sequence to wipe the old of all data..

The fact that the new iPhones were shelf stock meant the iOS update had to go first... That gave me a bit of a headache, I had to Force power off once or twice as it was hanging up a longer than expected time, I don't remember if it was the Pro or Pro Max, but it wasn't a panic, it just started over, and eventually completed OK... Backups were in iTunes as I'm on Mojave, and that took some time. Some things like DW's music took longer, but nothing we couldn't handle.

We did get messed up this month as far as data use, DW's Pro, somehow, I suspect a setting ws made about Podcasts, as in download ALL, so her Pro used 4Gb of our 6Gb data plan on its own, bringing us to only 1% data left for the 10 days left.. Oops! So other than change to Plan, we'll pay an overage fee if it happens.. I clamped down data usage for now to mainly wifi.. Should be fine from here on out...

Order the Pogue, Missing Manual, ASAP, we had a lot of questions on settings, how this or that worked. I Pre-ordered the book, ordered another one, by another author, that turned out to be useless, but now have the Missing Manual at hand. Like an insurance policy, mostly as whatever early issues we had, were managed..

Since then a couple more iOS updates, my ProMax battery life is fantastic, DW's Pro also seems a lot better..

Dive in, enjoy!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
Tuni there are two easy ways to transfer stuff to your new phone and one difficult way. There are things to keep in mind for each of these options.

Easy #1. Backup to iCloud and restore from iCloud. This is really Apple's default and suggested way. You have to go into settings and turn this one for each iOS device. If you only have Apple's default 5 GB of iCloud storage, you may run into that limit. Note things like photos and Apps don't count against that 5 GB limit, but email for example on your iPhone will count.

Easy #2. Backup via iTunes (actually Finder today) to your Mac and restore from there. I have observed over time you do not update to the latest iOS and MacOS versions as they come out. Since the old iTunes no longer exists and your new iPhone will come with a version of iOS13, I strongly recommend you update both your Mac and you current iPhone to the latest firmware. Additionally after those updates, you should perform another backup just in case file locations or something else needs attention.

Difficult way - This essentially is behaving as if you never had a cell phone and just bought your first one. The only exceptions will be you have an AppleID and you will not have to repurchase stuff from the Apple App Store. There is a whole lot of setup to settings to get things like calendars and contacts into the iPhone. I don't think you want to do this.

I got an iPhone 11 about 10 days ago and when I unboxed it, the device had iOS 13.0 -- the very first step is updating the iOS to the current version (iOS 13.2.3 is current today).

If you want to restore via Easy #1, you can just do it all via WiFi.

If you want to restore via Easy #2, you need to have your iPhone connected to your Mac via the wire before you actually start - otherwise the iPhone will start doing things via Easy #1. I actually wanted to restore with Easy #2 and did not connect the wire until I had turned on my new iPhone. After a little looking, I just said screw-it and let things go via Easy #1 which the iPhone preferred to use.

Being cautious, I did have both iCloud and Finder (previously referred to as iTunes) backups.

Not if you restore a local computer AND have that backup encrypted, the system will remember and transfer to your iPhone you email passwords and a few other things. (Apple has a list somewhere that google can find.). If you restore from iCloud, you don't have to re-enter things like email passwords.

I suspect the Apple Store would perform the transfer for you - they would do it via an iCloud restore, assuming your are good to go with your current iCloud storage space. But it does take some time and you may not want to wait in the store.
I would consider taking both phones to the Apple store and let them do it or guide you through it.

Ken
No. of Recommendations: 3
Apple has made moving your data trivial. Follow these instructions, choosing Quick Start, and you're good. I've done it several times now and it has worked perfectly and quickly:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201269

Note that there are some things that don't transfer, like any credit cards in your Apple Wallet.

-IGU-
We've been updated several weeks now. We opted to continue with Verizon's services, rather than drive a ways and fight parking at an Apple Store. Local VZ guru was out of the Pro DW wanted, but down the road 15 miles, another VZ Store had what we wanted.. had to wait a little s they were busy, but once connected to the Tech, native 20 minutes out the door, new Pro, Pro Max, Screen cover for the Pro Installed, cases for both and off we went..

We traded in our 8 & 8+, the deal for the 8+ was applied immediately to the sale, the 8's is spread out over the 2 year Plan.. I also dropped an iPad Mini off the Plan. We bought them outright, so in all of it, our monthly bill dropped to near $100 for both of us, with a 6Gb Data Plan.. Lowest its been in years..

So we kept our old iPhones, new ones in the sealed boxes, with a padded envelope to send them to VZ once we Activated the new iPhones.. Before sending, and after the new ones are set up, there's a sequence to wipe the old of all data..

The fact that the new iPhones were shelf stock meant the iOS update had to go first... That gave me a bit of a headache, I had to Force power off once or twice as it was hanging up a longer than expected time, I don't remember if it was the Pro or Pro Max, but it wasn't a panic, it just started over, and eventually completed OK... Backups were in iTunes as I'm on Mojave, and that took some time. Some things like DW's music took longer, but nothing we couldn't handle.

We did get messed up this month as far as data use, DW's Pro, somehow, I suspect a setting ws made about Podcasts, as in download ALL, so her Pro used 4Gb of our 6Gb data plan on its own, bringing us to only 1% data left for the 10 days left.. Oops! So other than change to Plan, we'll pay an overage fee if it happens.. I clamped down data usage for now to mainly wifi.. Should be fine from here on out...

Order the Pogue, Missing Manual, ASAP, we had a lot of questions on settings, how this or that worked. I Pre-ordered the book, ordered another one, by another author, that turned out to be useless, but now have the Missing Manual at hand. Like an insurance policy, mostly as whatever early issues we had, were managed..

Since then a couple more iOS updates, my ProMax battery life is fantastic, DW's Pro also seems a lot better..

Dive in, enjoy!
No. of Recommendations: 2
re: iPhone11 migration

easy/peezy - backed up to iCloud from my XR prior to even receiving the 11- Also made sure my backups from xr to iTunes were also current (backed up just in case to both computer and iCloud). Phone arrived - tried to do the "easy start but think my iPhone xr case got in the way of aligning both phones correctly. Went the iCloud route from the old phone to the new. No problems except for a tweak or two with a couple of sign ins and apps.....so much easier than this process used to be.

now just awaiting a new case with belt clip....should be here on Thursday. In the interim trying to be very, very careful...

thanks all for the help and suggestions....
No. of Recommendations: 0

Apple has made moving your data trivial. Follow these instructions, choosing Quick Start, and you're good. I've done it several times now and it has worked perfectly and quickly:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201269

Thanks. I still have an iPhone 6 and plan to upgrade soon but I don't want to upgrade my iMac to Catalina at this time so it is good that I don't have to go that route or the iCloud route since I don't use the cloud for stuff.

Rich