Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
We've found Etrade and Ameritrade to be very tolerant of my procrastination, and will make sure everything get converted in time. I wasn't so late that we ended up toasting in the New Year at their offices...but it was close.

But Vanguard?? Not so much. (I don't think they have any offices scattered around the country). If needed, you might want to get in touch with them before Christmas.

Vanguard allows you to do the conversion online, without having to call, if both accounts are at Vanguard. And no, they don't have any offices scattered around the country, so if you want to be able to go in and talk to someone face to face, you should probably choose another firm.

That said, especially if you are converting 'in-kind' (that is - moving shares of securities, rather than cash), you should be mindful of distribution dates for things like dividends and distributions. Especially in December, where there tend to be a lot of ETFs, mutual funds and companies that do distributions toward the end of the month - it's probably better to get your conversion done before the distribution occurs, so the distribution will land in the Roth account without any hassles.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.