No. of Recommendations: 0
We've lived here for 19 years. First attack in the kitchen.

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Slam-bang traps work.

I find old fashioned wood/wire/spring traps work fine. Forget about cheese, the best bait is peanut butter, nice and sticky. I just throw the trap away with the carcase.
I got one big fat rat a week or two ago with a spring trap and peanut butter.

I rebaited the trap and no fresh takers..... yet.

I found a deteriorated dryer vent that might be an avenue of entrance into the house. I replaced that yesterday with one that should prevent that--- it has a plastic cover over the vent termination outside that should exclude the little buggers.

A year ago I replaced a wooden fixture under the door that the door slides over. It fits nice and tight now.

I've looked with care for ways for rats to get into the house ----the dryer vent is the only one I saw this year.

Well, we'll see if that does it. In my view, the real key is to keep the little devils OUT rather than killing them when they get in.

I have several outdoor poison bait stations aimed at reducing the population as well. Also there are a flock of neighborhood cats that probably help with that.

In recent years I've usually had one or two get in in the fall. My aim is to reduce that to zero, but I haven't managed that this fall, again.

Seattle Pioneer
Yes - I have some set now.

I also have my own diabolical type in the garage: A large deep can with 2-3 inches water in bottom, with a heavy wire across the top and a flat piece of plastic in center with peanut butter on it. They come across to that, sheet tips, and they go plop in the water. Drowned ones are easily removed later and tossed in the woods or trash.

In the house, I have the have-a-heart trap (has caught some) plus couple bang/snap ones. PB is best bait, yes -- sticky, too, so they have to tug at it. (Have a heart trap is opened into the water in the a.m.)

No heart when it comes to these little vermin.

Never have had so much trouble until this year.

Vermonter
No. of Recommendations: 2
Never have had so much trouble until this year.

They have computers and Social Mousida. Word of a new location travels fast now.

ShelbyBoy
We've lived here for 19 years. First attack in the kitchen.

Vermonter
Try to figure out where they're getting in and repair it (harder with mice than rats--mice can squeeze through incredibly tiny holes).

I sublet an apartment some years ago. One evening I was in the dark on the phone when I heard a pot on the stove rattling--and discovered a mouse running around on the stove <eek!>. I scared him away, but later that night I saw him run under the bed <EEK!>. It took some days (trapped/killed several mice meanwhile), but I eventually located a tiny hole in the baseboard. Taped thick cardboard over it. Never had another mouse.
<<Try to figure out where they're getting in and repair it (harder with mice than rats--mice can squeeze through incredibly tiny holes).>>

I've walked the foundation of my house numerous times trying to figure out how the little devils get in.

As I noted I repaired the basement door bottom seal so that it fits tight, and replaced a deteriorated dryer vent with one that has a plastic screen designed to exclude intruders.

I suppose I ought to go through my crawl space on a sunny day looking for light that indicates a way in, but I haven't dione that yet.

I killed one big fat rat this fall, but there is at least another waiting to be exterminated.....

Seattle Pioneer
Better to stuff that hole with one of this copper scrubbing pads or steel wool. Carboard is too chewy!
Better to stuff that hole with one of this copper scrubbing pads or steel wool. Carboard is too chewy!

Yeahbut it was month 4 of a 6-month sublet. I used what I had on hand. It worked.

ASIDE
My son-in-law bought, baited, and set out 4 mousetraps. Disposed of the first victim and reset the trap. Unfortunately, he then went out of town so I disposed of the entire traps w/dead mice for the next 2. And disposed of my dishwashing gloves right after ;-)

Last year while my brother was in rehab, I was looking after his house and found evidence of rat droppings. Hired a guy who figured out where they were coming in (from the crawl space into the master closet--evidence of babies raised in an old sneaker(!). He set out traps. Alas, I found 2 adorable, dead little gray rats with shiny, beady black eyes in one trap. I can't shake the image. They were united in death and much cuter than the grungy mice in my apartment...
They're cute until they're running around in your living room crapping like metronomes... had what I believe was a small wood rat in here last fall, panicked calls from my better half at work, somehow disappeared and made it up 2 stories into the attic (via the baseboard heating pipes? insulation channels in the wall?). The thing obediently tried out a glue trap the same night I put it up there.
Oh yes, I know. Weird. We never have had any until this fall. Been catching and killing several so far.

Vermonter
Still fighting them. Try as I might I have not found the little opening that is letting them in! I bought some special expanding stuff to fill such a hole, but not luck finding it yet.

I tried to buy some good old D-CON wedges to put on the back porch, too, but those are apparently now illegal. Someone decided to protect us from ourselves, I guess.

Clever little things also figured out how to fool the snap-bang traps, too! I have had them eat the peanut butter off the little gizmo that sets it off -- without tripping the snapper!

We keep trying. We are getting a lot fewer, but still seem to get one or two in the house.

Vermonter
You are probably getting the family that is *already* inside the walls. Expect a half dozen or so, or more if the opening to the outside is still there.

They will eat through the expanding foam, the only way to stop them is to plug the hole with steel wool or a Brillo pad or something they can’t chew through, then cover it with drywall mud or whatever is appropriate.

Look behind those escutcheons (covering plates) where the pipes come out of the wall in the bath and kitchen. That’s a favorite that they can squeeze through. Otherwise good luck. They can often manage to get the peanut butter off a snap trap, but eventually they will learn the lesson.
Goofyhoofy:

The foam stuff I bought is specially intended to block mice -- it's poisonous etc. Awful-sounding, though. Wear gloves, mask, etc. I need to find where outside they are getting in first. I do not want to use it inside.

We've caught and killed off several already, so we may be getting ahead of them -- I hope.

Yes, I bought SS scouring coils and have been plugging in around pipes, under the sink, etc. Very small slits, really, but I am told they can get in anyway.

Thanks.

Vermonter
alstroemeria:

In a previous place, many years ago, the mice got into the INSULATION in the stove/oven, and nested there! My god. I tore it all apart after we killed the mice, pulled out all the insulation (and ugly droppings), etc., cleaned whatever I could and re-stuffed with new insulation. However, that oven could never be used again. The smells... ugh.

(shudder.. remembering)

Vermonter
Clever little things also figured out how to fool the snap-bang traps, too! I have had them eat the peanut butter off the little gizmo that sets it off -- without tripping the snapper!

What I do is put a little crust of bread on the trigger and allow it to dry out for a day or so. I then cover the bread crust with peanut butter. They lick the peanut butter and then tug on the bread crust---- bam. End of mouse.
;-)

C.J.V. - got three cats in the house but still gets rodents coming in, us
<<C.J.V. - got three cats in the house but still gets rodents coming in, us>>

Bait the traps with tuna fish to deal with the cat infestation.

Seattle Pioneer