No. of Recommendations: 1
Wealthy exodus to escape new tax rules worries California Democrats

The Republican-backed federal tax bill flipped the tables on a never-ending question for California politicians: Will high taxes lead the state’s wealthiest residents to flee the Golden State for the comparable tax havens of Florida, Nevada and Texas?

Republicans reliably raise that alarm when Democrats advocate for tax increases, like the 2012 and 2016 ballot initiatives that levied a new income tax on very high-earning residents.

But now, with the federal tax bill cutting off deductions that benefited well-off Californians, the state’s Democrats suddenly are singing the GOP song about a potential millionaire exodus.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Pro athletes have a preference for retiring in Florida, no income tax.

CA charges income tax to pro athletes from out of state visiting teams for that portion of their income earned from playing a game in California.
Pro athletes have a preference for retiring in Florida, no income tax.

CA charges income tax to pro athletes from out of state visiting teams for that portion of their income earned from playing a game in California.

Yet twice as many people choose to live in California as Florida?

My daughter lived in California for ~12 years, loved it (so did I when I visited). When she moved to Vancouver her taxes went up. Loved it to. Now they are moving her to Texas.
Yet twice as many people choose to live in California as Florida?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very few people actually choose where they live. Most of us are born into a web of opportunities and obligations. Despite all the Best Places To Live or Best Places to Retire, most people are stuck where they are in one way or another. Even people who do relocate, it's usually because they were transferred, by their company or the military, or they were forced to take a job in another state, most likely a state not of their choosing, but that is where the job is.

Watched part of Fargo Season 3 last night. The credits say filmed in Alberta. Not Fargo. Of course hundreds of American films are made in Canada. Why doesn't Hollywood want to keep the production expenses and taxes paid in California, or at least in the US? Dumb question. With Hollywood, it's "Do as I say, not as I do."
No. of Recommendations: 2

I think every state does this.
Every athlete has to keep track of every game they play in and portion out a percentage of salary to each state, IIRC. Actors in plays that travel around do the same.

Not really different than if you had a food truck that traveled to different county fairs all year.

Mike
Watched part of Fargo Season 3 last night. The credits say filmed in Alberta. Not Fargo. Of course hundreds of American films are made in Canada. Why doesn't Hollywood want to keep the production expenses and taxes paid in California, or at least in the US? Dumb question. With Hollywood, it's "Do as I say, not as I do."

Good point. For all intents and purposes, if you need outdoor sets with pine trees and snow cover, Bakersfield could easily pass for Bemidji, Minnesota.
Why doesn't Hollywood want to keep the production expenses and taxes paid in California, or at least in the US? Dumb question.

Safety?

https://globalnews.ca/news/3784272/were-doing-a-movie-yells-...

CRIME
October 3, 2017 10:18 pm

‘We’re doing a movie’ actor yells at police after being shot at

By Brent Rose Global News

WATCH: Bodycam video shows U.S. police officer shooting at actor dressed as a robber.

One time they set up a crime scene with graffiti and garbage on a Toronto back street then went to lunch, when they got back the city workers had cleaned it up and painted over the graffiti.

Some years back they did one not far from our place that included building a functioning old fashioned MacDonald's just 500 meters from a relatively new MacDonald's on the street. The prop was so popular they turned the modern one into a Burger King.

My personal favourite was this one.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2392298/albertans-poke-fun-at-leo...

I have little doubt that the local crew set him up as he has an obnoxious habit of flying into Fort McMurray on his private jet, lecturing the locals about the error of their ways (including producing the fuel for his jet and monster yacht) and the carrying on to the south of France to be helicoptered out to his yacht that was bigger than the destroyers I used to hunt subs from in a Sea King.

Tim
Of course hundreds of American films are made in Canada. Why doesn't Hollywood want to keep the production expenses and taxes paid in California, or at least in the US? Dumb question. With Hollywood, it's "Do as I say, not as I do."

Although the "Do as I say, not as I do." part is true, it's also true that Texas and Canada (among others) give tax breaks and other aid to out of state movie companies.

Also, I believe unions have less of a stranglehold than in California.
Although the "Do as I say, not as I do." part is true, it's also true that Texas and Canada (among others) give tax breaks and other aid to out of state movie companies.

Louisiana used to have a big movie tax break. My town was flooded with production because we had a combination of swamps, old buildings, huge water tank/pool (used in The Guardian), farmland, etc., that fit many a movie scene. My neighborhood was often blocked off for scenes because there were a couple of houses that had "the look".

We were able to fool Steven King with the location on the movie "Mist". All his books/movies take place in Maine (or so I'm told), opening scene is a house on a lake and he wanted to know where in Maine that was. The give away and blooper came when the firetruck passes and you can clearly see "Shreveport Fire Dept" on the door.

JLC
No. of Recommendations: 1
Texas and Canada (among others) give tax breaks and other aid to out of state movie companies.

Michigan used to do the same. The handouts have been sharply cut back in recent years, though Detroit still attracts some interest for appocolyptic films like the "Transformers" series.

Transformers filming in Michigan: Photos from the set at Detroit's Packard Plant

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2016/06/next_tra...

The Detroit burb of Allen Park decided to "create jobs" by sinking tens of millions into a movie studio complex to cash in on the traffic generated by the subsidies from Lansing.

April 14, 2009 5:34PM PT
Michigan nabs $146M movie studio
Unity Studios to build complex in Detroit suburb

http://variety.com/2009/film/features/michigan-nabs-146m-mov...

The end of the subsidies dried up the traffic and pushed the city to the edge of bankruptcy.

June 13, 2014
Site of failed movie studio project that cost Allen Park millions being sold to New York firm

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2014/06/site_of_...

Steve
Texas and Canada (among others) give tax breaks and other aid to out of state movie companies.

Michigan used to do the same. The handouts have been sharply cut back in recent years, though Detroit still attracts some interest for appocolyptic films like the "Transformers" series.

Of course it is not Canada but rather some provinces that give tax breaks. Nova Scotia also decided that the cost wasn't worth it and cut them significantly a few years back. I've always thought that such things including all the call centers we subsidized turn into a race to the bottom with governments trying to out bid each other. There are no roots to keep many of these industries so as soon as they get a better offer they load up the trucks.

Tim

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/film-tv-jobs-tax-c...

McNeil's major move: Cuts to film tax credit
Two years after industry was blindsided and feared for its future, recovery is ongoing
By Michael Gorman, CBC News Posted: May 01, 2017 6:00 AM AT

The Liberals incited one of the largest protests of their mandate when the 2015 budget essentially gutted the labour-based credit. Cue a series of hastily organized meetings between representatives of the film and TV industry and the government that eventually resulted in a compromise and a new fund that focuses on the total amount of money a production spends in the province.
Hollywood me has held off this thread hoping it would arrive where it arrived -- rediscovering that the movie business remains solidly anchored in Hollywood (a century old technology cluster of specialized talents from soundstage management through show biz lawyers and agents on to massive computer graphic design), is and has always looked for states and cities and wannabe producers to sucker for investments, subsidies, and (throws sparkly pixie dust) (said throwing being another cluster specialization) <<<!!!!The Glamor and Fame that should be YOURS!!!!>>>.

California has huge advantages as a place to live, some natural and some carefully fostered and paid for with taxes, and those advantages make it more than worth the costs for some and not for others.

Well, duh.

david fb