Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
We've been in the 70-80's. Temps plunging to the lower 40's tonight.

Also, the hurricane is forecasted to hit the mid-Atlantic/Northeast region. Apparently it has a large wind field, although it'll be just a minimum grade hurricane when it strikes....however, large amounts of rain.

Arrete, LD, lowstudent?? You guys getting prepared?
Print the post Back To Top
Also, the hurricane is forecasted to hit the mid-Atlantic/Northeast region. Apparently it has a large wind field, although it'll be just a minimum grade hurricane when it strikes....however, large amounts of rain.

---------------

In my case, I think it's a lot of hype. I'll keep an eye on it, though. Get it? "Eye"? Sometimes I amaze myself.

arrete
No. of Recommendations: 2
We've been in the 70-80's. Temps plunging to the lower 40's tonight.

aolfool

>>>>>>>>

yeah, I've been nailing sheets of plywood over all the windows, and stocking up on water and sardines
Been shopping around for a chainsaw too, in case a tree falls on the powerline and I can help the local crews. Also been boning up on electrical connections on high voltage lines as well.

And I'm hoping the underground shelter will be finished by tomorrow evening....it has a/c, a full sized bed with mattress, flushable toilet and a microwave, fridge and a coffeepot.

all that's missing is reality. :)

Supposed to rain over the weekend, strong winds due Tuesday if not sooner. This week has been gorgeous and I cut the grass yesterday and today I cut it shorter...it was too tall. Cool night air makes the grass wet underneath and gunks up the mower with green slime. Yuck!

Tried starting the fricking leaf blower but it was hard starting...I hate those 2 cycle things....argh! might need some fresh fuel....finicky engines!

LD
No. of Recommendations: 0
low student lives 'round here?

why do tell?

LD

If I recall, I thought he has said before that he lives around NY? Not sure, maybe I'm wrong.

Well other than being blacked out, ain't much to do. I have relatives inland if I have to do that.

One of the benefits of living on a slab is not flooded basements

Last storm was a mess for a lot of my friends, flooding was extremely bad. Folks out of their house for over a year!

Me, boats are too much work, so I am inland and a little higher above sea water so no problems.

As long as one of my old oaks, or huge pines doesn't fall on the house as I said, other than living in the dark I am not too worried.
a yankee? :)
well, some of my best friends are foreigners. :)

LD

why do tell?

LD

Long Island NY -- otherwise I'd a tried to get together to say howdy

They are saying we are a possible track, but they always say that
Michigan - no hurricanes

why do tell?

LD

They are saying we are a possible track, but they always say that
lowstudent

>>>>>>>>>

well one never knows...might be a chance to meet up one day. :)
Long Island

aka Lawn Guyland.

--fleg
Looks like it could cause more damage than what you'd normally expect with the Cat 1 (or slightly below). From wunderground.

The mid-Atlantic U.S. scenario

Landfall Monday along the mid-Atlantic coast on Monday, as predicted by the ECMWF and NOGAPS models, would likely be a billion-dollar disaster. In this scenario, Sandy would be able to bring sustained winds near hurricane force over a wide stretch of heavily populated coast, causing massive power outages, as trees still in leaf fall and take out power lines. Sandy is expected to have tropical storm-force winds that extend out more than 300 miles from the center, which will drive a much larger storm surge than its winds would ordinarily suggest. The full moon is on Monday, which means astronomical tides will be at their peak for the month, increasing potential storm surge flooding. Fresh water flooding from heavy rains would also be a huge concern. Given the ECMWF's consistent handling of Sandy, I believe this mid-Atlantic scenario has a higher probability of occurring than the Northeast U.S. scenario. However, it is likely that the models are overdoing the strength of Sandy at landfall. The models have trouble handling the transition from tropical storm to extratropical storm in these type of situations, and I expect that the 940 mb central pressure of Sandy predicted at landfall Monday in Delaware by the ECMWF model is substantially overdone.

Jeff Masters
Tried starting the fricking leaf blower but it was hard starting...I hate those 2 cycle things....argh! might need some fresh fuel....finicky engines!
-------------

Get a battery one. Or corded. They're pretty cheap. Don't last as long or go as far as your gasoline one, though.

arrete
No. of Recommendations: 2
aka Lawn Guyland.

--fleg

What's funny is it is not only said that way, but most of my neighbors who were born and raised out here seem to live their life that way as well

Being someone who was transplanted for the Bronx then upgraded to Brooklyn before landing out here, my attitude is more toward f'in grass? Mow it? If you can't smoke it, why can't we put in concrete?
Our neighbor works with a bunch of weather guys who were getting excited about the possibility of Hurricane Sandy (hey, that reminds me of someone <g>) going up the middle of the Bay (Chesapeake to you hayseeds). That would get me and LD, but probably miss lowstudent and madcap. It's a pretty remote possibility - so far.

arrete
aka Lawn Guyland.

--fleg

What's funny is it is not only said that way, but most of my neighbors who were born and raised out here seem to live their life that way as well

Being someone who was transplanted for the Bronx then upgraded to Brooklyn before landing out here, my attitude is more toward f'in grass? Mow it? If you can't smoke it, why can't we put in concrete?
low

>>>>>>>>

yard full of patio blocks would be a good fit. :)
yard full of patio blocks would be a good fit. :)

Ahhhhhh, so you've seen my backyard

My wife wouldn't let me pave over the front and put in a basketball court.
lowstudent

>>>>>>>>>

well one never knows...might be a chance to meet up one day. :)
======================

Road trip!

arrete
Ahhhhhh, so you've seen my backyard

My wife wouldn't let me pave over the front and put in a basketball court.
-------------

DH has gotten into the lawn thing. I'd throw some wildflower seeds and call it done. Oh well. Everyone has to have a retirement hobby.

arrete
45 deg cooler here tomorrow morning....some rain/drizzle..yuk...

actually turned on the heat this evening just in case...2-3 days of cold....then back to 70s for a high.

My sis is in Gaithersburg...and BIL/Niece up at Lake George.... both might see a lot of rain....

LD might see rain, even SNOW.....

t.
No. of Recommendations: 5
As long as one of my old oaks, or huge pines doesn't fall on the house as I said, other than living in the dark I am not too worried. - lowstudent

-----------------

If you need any advice about living in the dark, the folks over on PA can help you.
From wunderground.

The mid-Atlantic U.S. scenario

Landfall Monday along the mid-Atlantic coast on Monday,

Well, we can take some small comfort from this - the storm won't be bad enough to cause landfall Monday to be on Wednesday.
DH has gotten into the lawn thing. I'd throw some wildflower seeds and call it done. Oh well. Everyone has to have a retirement hobby.

arrete

I agree with that, hopefully when my wife finally gets tired of working she will find 'lawning' something she likes

Me, I understand flowers, have one side of the house with a nice set of perennials I actually like, I understand trees, sure raking is a PIA but the shade and the uniquess of them, attracting wildlife etc, they're cool, I understand berries and veggies, sure I can but them at the store, but they don't taste the same,and I got this weird Italian thing going(yeah that means fruit trees and a hatred of damnable squirrels)

But a lawn? How much time do people want to spend making their house look so good that they can tell people it looks as good as astroturf! What's wrong with just putting down astroturf?
What's wrong with just putting down astroturf?

1.) It isn't cheap
2.) Getting the right artifical turf, some detoriates quickly
3.) Lead, some has high lead content

I am considering it.
It's just so weird to think of cities like Philly, DC and New York being hit by a hurricane. When you think hurricane you normally think the Carribbean, Texas, Louisiana or Florida.

It's almost like thinking of Texas getting earthquakes....oh wait..
"It's just so weird to think of cities like Philly, DC and New York being hit by a hurricane. When you think hurricane you normally think the Carribbean, Texas, Louisiana or Florida."

Not really...

every decade, the tail end of a hurricane, or a hurricane comes up and clobbers Long Island.....

ANd when I was a kid in NJ....we had a hurricane come through....a foot of rain......the dam in Branchville was a concern...folks went down there to see it....it survived....the lake where we had our summer cottage rose a foot over the dam.....there was massive flooding.....

If you watch the weather channel..they have a program of a Cat 4 hurricane hitting NYC...floods the subway tunnels and puts them out of commission for 5 years..all the salt water and 100 year old parts that can't be replaced......and then it gets worse..... 20 foot storm surge...

It just hasn't happened for a while...

and with Al Gore's failed prediction of 'dozens' of Cat 5 killer hurricanes every year striking the US......we've had minimum number of storms hitting the US for the last ten years.

Not only was Al Gore wrong, but very very wrong....

But you still get one or two a year, and with increased population, you get more and more problems.

Someday a Cat 5 will hit miami.....

t.

Cape Hatteras gets pounded all the time.....
Wolve
Michigan - no hurricanes

Are sure about that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Hurricane

decath
Man, it's tough to find an ideal place. Yeah, Michigan...no hurricanes. But 3 months of very cold weather. Texas....not very cold, but tornadoes, hurricanes, hot weather....and gasp - earthquakes. Coastal Calif....typically not hot and very good weather, but earthquakes (real ones), mudslides, wildfires. Florida...bad example.

There's no perfect place. You can say the weather in Hawaii is almost perfect....little change throughout the year, warm. But you pay through the nose for real estate. The market usually prices accordingly.
There's no perfect place. You can say the weather in Hawaii is almost perfect....little change throughout the year, warm. But you pay through the nose for real estate. The market usually prices accordingly.

That's why God created snowbirding, you can get year round near perfection, not move so far from everyone you do not see anyone ever again, and enjoy a reasonable lifestyle on both ends.

I am thinking Arizona winters and Long Island Summers right now, but I will see.

I know lots of folks who do North Carolina/Tennessee and Florida a drivable situation and not too brutally expensive.

Pretty close to a roll your own perfection, of course, you need to be retired or a tele-commuter employee

And I think they have active volcanoes there, which erupt every so often. I think I saw one on the news just the other day, in fact.

I think I'll stay where I am and take the winter cold and the occasional blizzard.

And I think they have active volcanoes there, which erupt every so often. I think I saw one on the news just the other day, in fact.

AN active volcano. The Big Island, Hawaii itself, is an active volcano. The rest of the chain is former peaks of that volcano, off the hot spot, no longer active. Even one island over, the chance of a volcanic eruption is very close to zero; two or three islands, it drops further. And since the active volcano is not the sort that has explosive eruptions, the other islands have essentially no secondary risk other than maybe being asked to find room for refugees.

Oh, and by the way, the chain is a bit longer than people think. Here, the Big Island is right in the middle and you can see the whole chain... https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hawaii&hl=en&ll=19.80...