Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
The Foolish League(s) of Simple Survival... let's say it's a bit of a weird one this week. It feels like we're entering the 'settled down' part of the season now that we know a little more about what to expect, who's hurt, who's hot, and who's not. We know a larger-than-normal number QBs are out of the starting gate like they were shot out of a cannon, for example. It's also early enough that the slate of teams you can still pick is wide open. But if you use the odds to help you determine win likelihood (not what odds mean, but hey, it's one measure of popular sentiment), then this particular week is looking like kid-in-a-candy-store time.

Five home teams are favored by a TD or more (TB, LAR, KC, SF, and GB) and two others are big road favorites: SEA@MIA (6.5) and a 'really-not-a-road-game', BAL@WAS (13.5). With the postponement of PIT/TEN, that makes almost half of the games pretty easy pickins.

Now some stuff on the team I know most about: Seattle has scored 38, 35, and 38 points so far in beating Atlanta, New England, and Dallas, but 2 of those 3 came down to [basically] the last play of the game and their DBs keep taking injury hits. They also suffer from teh suck of CB Tre Flowers. He lost his starting job but was pressed into duty (and getting absolutely torched like a phoenix by Dallas) after Quinton Dunbar and Neiko Thorpe went down. Either or both might play before the bye, hopefully relegating Flowers back to the bench. And Seattle has no pass rush to speak of after losing Bruce Irvin for the year and the other guys just generally not getting much done. Big acquisition S Jamal Adams (also injured) was doing the most in terms of flustering Matt Ryan and Cam Newton, both of whom put up monster yardage numbers (as did Dak--Seattle's pass D has given up an average of of 431 yards in 3 games. Passing. That's just passing.). So even though the opponent is Miami and Russell's going to do his cooking, I'd stay away from Seattle this week. Even if Wilson throws 7 TD passes he could still lose 51-49.

Still should be an entertaining weekend. Love me some football.

-n8 (also DK Metcalf, c'mon, man. I know it was only one play, but I just had to put that in here.)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.