Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
YTD, I have spent $35,297 to initiate 42 new positions whose current market value (as of Friday’s close) is $39,861, or a YTD gain of 12.9%. That’s not the best of gains, but it’s adequate, given that I’m buying bonds whose average rating is investment-grade.

The portfolio has a Face Value of $54,000, a Current Yield of 8.4%, a Yield to Maturity of 13.0%, and any investor could have replicated or beat those results if he she or he had done the same thing I did.

#1, Ignore anyone’s advice but one’s own.
#2, Shop in a systematic and disciplined manner.

Could those results be replicated going forward? Not a chance. The easy money is gone.

But could adequate results be achieved going forward, no matter the asset class or approach? For sure, provided the investor understood:
#1, What is realistic to expect of markets, and
#2, The investor is willing to do the necessary work.

How much work? Maybe an hour/day, six days/week, week after week after week. This stuff ain't rocket science, but it does take systematic effort.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.