Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Welcome aboard!

While I can't give you specific advice about your stocks, we discussed a similar situation over at Stock Advisor a couple of issues ago, with the runup in Netflix that had lead to a similar overweighting for many people, including me.

In general, we advise that you should be able to sleep at night with your investments. If a position is getting too large where you begin to worry about it, it's probably time to trim back to something you're more comfortable with. As for worrying about missing out on further gains, believe me, I understand that too. I sold 2/3 of my Netflix position at about $140 or so, so I've given up about $50 of upside since then on those shares I sold. What's worked for me is that I was able to put the money to work elsewhere where it's doing well (though maybe not as good as the Netflix has done since). I also have some shares remaining, so I didn't give up all the upside. Finally, I've realized that such a feeling is based on fear (fear of missing out, that is), and emotions have no place in investing decisions. Just consider if you let that fear drive your decision and then the stocks tank (which they could). You'd feel even more terrible for not having sold some at a good profit. There's nothing wrong with lightening a position down to the point where you feel comfortable again, especially if you have another place for the money.

As for valuation, that comes more from an understanding of the company than it does from plugging numbers into a spreadsheet. Before you can do the latter, you've got to learn what makes a company tick, what drives its revenue, earnings, and growth prospects. From that, you can build a valuation model. Better yet, build several with different sets of assumptions, because no one model is going to get it right. Last February, I valued Netflix at anything between $38 and $120 (or thereabouts), at a time when the shares were trading at $60, just by changing some of the growth and margin assumptions. Today? $190. I thought I had the possibilities pegged and the company and the market blew past my most optimistic scenario without breaking a sweat.

Study the company, learn what makes it tick. Then build a valuation model (or two or five) but know that you'll probably be wrong one way or the other. The exercise is good because it forces you to think about the company and the business, but don't expect to be right on the model(s).

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

COHU and KVHI have been interesting stocks to own. They follow the market up and lead it down....it seems! :-) With the market in a correction now, you know where they are going. Fun going up and not so fun going down.

Great story on Netflix stock. It is the premier leader (for now).

As far as COHU/KVHI go, I have too much invested in them and need to re-balance. I have a pretty good understanding of their business and have followed them for years. Modeling is another story.

I have never spent the time doing a value model on them, unless I did it mentally (mainly because I do not know the nuts and bolts of doing so). Thus, when I see you and other Fools discussing the values of stock (value model), I am seeing another side of investing worth discovering.

Thanks for the help.

RunTex
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.