Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
Welcome Chuck!

I hope you come out of the shadows and post more often. Great initial post. I am very much of the same mind that you are. I would classify myself to be a liberal in the classic sense of the word. That would be a Milton Friedman brand of liberal not a Michael Moore brand of "liberal". I am not a "Libertarian" (the party) for much of the same reason that express that you are not.

Incidentally, my view on abortion is nearly identical to yours. I explain my justification as an issue of personal rights. In my view, the life of an unborn child trumps any rights of the mother in most cases. Much like you indicated, I see a difference when the mother's life is in danger. I also see a difference when the mothers quality of life is in grave danger.....for example, the prospect of a woman dealing with the psycholical horrors of bearing a child from a rape or incest. What I do not subscribe to is relying on these extremely rare cases as a justification of all abortion.

In regards to "life of the mother" concerns....I have some personal experience. When my now wife became pregnant while we were dating, it was unclear what the ramifications would be. Doctors gave us grave predictions. She had previously had a brain tumor as a teenager. The doctors were extremely concerned about hormonal changes and the like wreaking havoc. They warned of possible grand mal seizures. They warned that the metabolic rat race in her body could spur tumor growth if any mutated cells remained. It was a scary time. My now wife had more courafe than I. I was scared to death of losing her. I urged her to terminate the pregnancy. My wife never gave it a second thought. One night she lost her patience with me and proclaimed "I did not fight for my life to one day kill my baby.....you have to love me enough to live this with me". Thirteen years later I have the most beautiful wonderful daughter you can imagine and the most wonderful wife and mother I know.

I do not offer this commentary as a solicitation for an argument with anyone. I generally agree to disagree with anyone that sees this issue differently than I.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.