No. of Recommendations: 4
The Mexican town built by price gouging in American health care.

Welcome to Molar City, Mexico, The Dental Mecca America’s Health Care Costs Built
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/welcome-to-molar-city-mexico-...

</snip>

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Their local dentist charges $332 for a checkup, Donnette said, compared with $90 at Sani.

I'm paying $196.44/year for dental insurance.

The deductible is $90, so for the twice yearly cleaning and exam and x-rays the all-in cost is $286.44. To look at that another way $143 per "checkup". Fillings are covered 50%, but major work (bridges, crowns, etc.) isn't a benefit at all.

The local college does checkups for $60.
No. of Recommendations: 1
fdoubleol writes,

The local college does checkups for $60.

</snip>

Yeah. I get my dental work done at the OHSU Dental School in Portland. Prices are about 1/2 what local dentists charge.

But there's a limit to what the dental school is willing to do before they turn you over to the Faculty Dental Clinic where they charge the "regular" price.

If you need ten implants and your whole jaw replaced, Mexico may be the only economic alternative.

intercst
No. of Recommendations: 0
Had a friend in Tulsa OK....he and wife took a trip to south TX every year in winter for a week or two and dropped across the border for routine check up and dental work. Seemed to like it. Took the motorhome south slowly and enjoyed the scenery. Stopped in Denton TX to visit the kids/grandkids there.

Here - it's about $220 for a cleaning and dentist check...... not counting x-rays which I get every 2 years.

Need 2 fillings replaced so we'll see what costs next month.....dentist is backlogged due to everyone spending down their benefits/HSA for the calendar year...... and one re-fill is scheduled for Jan. Can't do both sides of mouth same day.....hmmm....

t.
Just had two fillings in Jaco, Costa Rica for $60 a piece. I was quoted $400 for crowns and have been told by others implants run from $650-$750. I have heard people talk about their total mouth reconstruction for $11,000. Kaiser US quoted me $85,000. (I am a grinder, don't need yet).
Quality of service? These dentists are all trained in the US. They all speak English. Airfare RT from Portland Oregon is $450-$650. This is nothing new. Costa Rica has a huge Dental Tourism industry. You can find out a lot more on Facebook group "Expatriates In Costa Rica" and "Gringo Expats In Costa Rica". I have personally talked to more people than i can count about their implants and dental work. I got my teeth cleaned just to reaearch one of the more popular places in San Jose. $50. There seemed to be quite aa few satisfied people in the waiting room.
It is common practice to send them your dental records to get an assessment and quote.

So, for me, surfing during the week down at the coast, dancing during the weekend in the central valley, and squeezing in any dental work in the gaps.