Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 14
Welcome to my favorite fools box Ox! Excellent perspective. I have a number of portfolios that have tanked in recent weeks/months and I'm having a hard time getting past the "if I had only sold in March.." mentality. I've been investing for 11 years since I graduated college. I started out conservatively and grew more aggressive as my investments grew beyond my wildest dreams. I was up more than 60% YTD as of 3/10. I am now just about even with my account balance as of 11/99.

I know the companies and have done the research. I've chosen market leaders and stayed the course. We'll come out of this eventually but I think sticking to it requires a tremendous amount of discipline.

I read an article today that said, during widespread market corrections, 90% of the people who bail out, sell somewhere near the bottom. Selling off all my securities implies that I have somewhere better to put the money. I don't, so I'm not selling.

I also know I can't time the market. I've tried and failed...miserably. Come to think of it, I should probably do everyone a favor and bail out today. Based on my experience, the entire NYSE and Nasdaq would rebound almost immediately after I hit the "SELL" order button for my very last share of JDSU or GM. Unfortunately, I'm no martyr so someone else will need to serve as a sacrificial lamb.

Thank you again for your insight. I think we all need to remember that investing takes a lifetime.

Brad
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.