Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Welcome to the board, Gio!

I just opened up both a Roth and Traditional IRA. I am eligible for both since I can make a partial contribution to the Roth due to my high AGI. So the max is $4k for both. Now I want to invest them (I'm with Fidelity as that's where my employer has my 401(k)). Also my limit for contributions to 401k is 12% for high AGI emps, lower AGI emps is 20%.

I just want to clarify a couple of IRA related items here.
1. The max contribution for a single IRA (Traditional or Roth) or combination of IRAs (multiple Traditional IRA, multiple Roth IRA or some comination) is $4K per Tax Year, or put another way, the total of your Traditional IRA + Roth IRA should not exceed $4K (True for 2006 and 2007, goes up in 2008).

2. The Traditional IRA comes in two flavors-
a. deductible Tr-IRA or,
b. non-deductible Tr-IRA.
Your income level excludes you from option a., but option b. does not make sense if you can contribute to a Roth IRA. From the information you have provided, it appears you can make a max contribution of 4K to a Roth IRA.

Your next option is probably Taxable accounts, since long-term Capital Gains (LTCG) are taxed at 15%

Your 401k portfolio seems well diversified. I am guessing the portfolio looks the way it does, is more the result of performance of Intl Fund, as opposed to a heavy asset allocation in International. Just curious-what is your current asset allocation model i.e. what percentage is allocated to each of those funds?

Hohum
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.