No. of Recommendations: 0
Welcome to the Fool jstblush,

While I can't comment on the funds, if they do have high fees and there is no employer match, then you are probably better off contributing first to a Roth IRA (if eligible) and then to a taxable account where you can choose low cost funds. With the new lower long term capital gains taxes in effect, taxable accounts have become a good choice in many cases.

Look at comparable funds at Vanguard, TIAA-CREF or Fidelity and see the difference in fees. If it is significant, then it may be time to ditch the 401K. The other option is to for your husband to lobby his employer for better 401K choices.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.