Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Welcome to The Motley Fool discussion boards. Sorry that your initial experiences have been stressful and triggering.

Many of the busier boards are often filled with extremely polarized and at times vociferous participants. The boards also have their shares (usually) of empathetic and polite posters, but they are often drowned out by the loudmouths that shoot from the hip.

Also, I suspect I know of one of the boards you're referring to. Your responses (and responses to you) have appeared already on the "Best of" list. Some boards are notably incendiary or accustomed to dealing with trolls. You may have been assumed to be a troll, or not. Many of the boards are not known for being delicate with newcomers regardless of intent and interest.

As it is, I recommend perhaps temporarily removing those boards off your "favorite" boards, give yourself a few days to adjust, and then - if still desired - slowly ease back in and lurk (read only) for a while. Also, sometimes I only lurk for a long time before I start posting. It gives me the chance to know who the vocal parties are, what the general temperament and focus is of the active community, and see if I feel comfortable being an active (or infrequent) participant, if at all. Some boards were created to offset cultures (temperaments) from other boards. Some boards are well known to being hostile to each other. Many boards have their own unofficial lists of martyrs vs. pariahs. It takes a while to assess the cultures.

Just a few thoughts,
Meg
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.