No. of Recommendations: 1
Welcome to the world of 'high income'. Yes, taxes do get higher as your earnings increase. In your case I suspect this is something you'll just have to get used to. Keep in mind, that wasting a dollar to save $.28 doesn't make much sense, so I would carefully consider any 'tax savings' expenses you make to make sure its an expense you'd likely be making anyway.

You could ask your employer to consider adopting a safe harbor 401(k) or a Qualified Auto Contribution Arrangement 401(k), which would allow the HCE's to max out annual contribution limits. But often, particluarly employers with lots of non-HCE's, these may cost him/her a bit more in mandatory matching or non-elective contributions and so may not want to do this, but it might be worth asking.

You can certainly contribute to your traditional IRAs up to the max of $5,000 each ($6,000 if 50 or older in 2012). This would not be deductible but earnings would be tax deferred.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.