No. of Recommendations: 7
Welcome all. The purpose of this board is to provide a forum for people to discuss fiction, poetry and drama. Essentially, it is a book club, but hopefully it will operate a little differently than your traditional club (i.e. those who don't like book clubs keep reading). My intent is to make it as relaxed as possible. You participate as much as you want. Here is how I hope the club will work:

People can post suggestions of novels, poetry, drama, or short stories to read. If there is enough interest (enough can be decided by whoever wants to discuss the book) then those interested can choose a date (say 2 or 3 weeks) to have the book read by; when the date arrives they start a discussion and go from there. Everyone who visits the board is automatically in the club, but nobody has to read anything they are not interested in. You can stop by the board and browse the suggested books, pick one you like or suggest one of your own. The point is you read what interests YOU. If we get enough people involved, there would be multiple discussions going on all the time and thus a lot of different types of books (e.g. literature, bestsellers, sci-fi, mystery, poetry, etc…) for people to choose from.

If someone had read the book and felt comfortable with it, I think it would be great if they served as a sort of discussion leader. I like the idea of people who have a specific knowledge of a novel or author helping to lead or direct (in a very relaxed way). Someone who has read criticism of a work or studied a work in detail can be a lot of help to people approaching an author or novel for the first time. Of course, this would not be a requirement for a discussion, and by suggesting a book you are in no way responsible for leading a discussion. It would just be nice to have a little "expert" opinion and background from those in the know.

So that's it. Browse through some suggestions or suggest a book of your own.

Thanks,

1FW
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.