Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Well,

A challenging position. However, when I look at your situation, I see the following:

- Your part time jobs cover your bills. That is a very big deal since it allows you to do something with your assets. Given your ages, you should research what your social security benefits will be. Your time horizon for working might be age 66.

- Since your PT jobs pay the bills, I might be persuaded to put the entire 860K ($90K, $370, $400K) into an S&P500 Index fund. If that is too big an emotional risk, go 50-50 with a short term investment grade account. Be prepared for some blips. Yet, over the long run, it will generate 5-6% per year, so $40K plus whatever your earned income and/or social security is.

I get the risk emotion. Somehow you have to forget about the day-to-day and look forward 5-10 years. That will make a big difference.

Living where you love it and having income to cover gives you options many don't have.

Best
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.