Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Well all, here is my 2 cents on Amex Advisors....

Not long ago, during my "midlife crisis" at age 29, I decided that since I love investing, I would go into this as a profession. Started taking the CFP courses, insurance course, etc. I went for job interviews at Amex and at Prudential. At Amex Career Night, we were given a very long test, to weed out the not so bright I guess. We were told that we would be paid for 6 mo while we were in training and then we would be commission only. At that point I just about walked out..I was supposed to get a full client list going in 6 months AND learn all I needed to know for the job??? After the 6 mo. you had to "rent" space from them if you wanted to stay in their office, or you could go out on your own. You had to pay Amex for leads that they got from their card-carring customers. You had to pay for postage for anything you mailed. Not very conducive to a professional carrer at helping others, I thought.

I must say, that this was a better set up than Prudential, who only paid you for 10 weeks. And, they flat out told me they REALLY wanted to hire me because I was a female..."you know, we don't have any of them in our office right now. They keep leaving." I wonder why??? :)

Needless to say, I did not take either of those jobs...but I am still looking for a way to earn a living at investing - I love it!!!
Winton
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.