No. of Recommendations: 6
Well, back safe and sound from RAGBRAI. I've figured out that this is not the board to post on
this type of travel adventure, so won't do it in the future, but thought I'd give give a brief recap of the trip, since I started the thread.

1) Iowa gets really hot and humid, lol. I'm a Northern boy, and the first night in Council Bluffs
on the Nebraska border was one of, if not the most, hottest and humid ones I've experienced.
And there was no shade available.

2) Iowa is much hillier than I thought. I ride in hills a lot, so I was prepared for them, but it was still surprising. Again, there was no shade while riding, so this made for some long,hot days.

3) no disrespect intended, but Iowa was seriously lacking in scenery. It truly seemed like a long, rolling cornfield from Nebraska to Missouri.

4) RAGBRAI and the state of Iowa do an incredible job of making a bicycle trip across their state safe. They actually blocked off vehicle traffic from the bike route, and I have honestly never felt safer on a bike. Any time we came near a major road, the Iowa State Patrol was out controlling the intersection. They truly did a fantastic job.

5) the people of Iowa that I interacted with are wonderful. And I understand that they are reaping a windfall from having 15,000 hot, hungry, and thirsty cyclists pass thru their town, so it behooves them to be nice to us. But it was more than that. We were welcomed with open arms in every town. Loved stopping for lunch in the basement of a local church, or an American Legion, treated very well and was happy that the money we spent with them was going to a good cause. Thoroughly impressed with the Iowans that I came across. And as part of a 15,000 cyclist mob, we had to be a total PIA to any of the citizens that were trying to go about their daily business. Good people living in Iowa.

6) I don't think I'll do RAGBRAI again, but am interested in doing tours across other states. Georgia has BRAG ( bike ride across Georgia ), Minnesota has BAM, I seen a T-shirt for RASDAK ( ride across South Dakota ). Would really like to do a ride across or down Oregon or California, but my cycling friends aren't retired yet, so this will have to wait.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.