Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, believe it or not (I've got absolutely no reason to lie to you) it's not about heaven.

So, since this is true, would you do me a favor that loses you your seat in heaven?

There's a Bible story about the stoning of Stephen. Paul (of Romans fame) is looking on... holding the cloaks of those throwing the stones. In retrospect, it's a meaningful moment for Paul. Similar things happen when people consider the Cross. Or the martyrs. And rational, virtuous or not, I'd like to think I'd take that knife in the ribs if it provided the nidus of someone's epiphany.

Well, I wouldn't. I don't consider my life a fair trade-off for your moment of clarity. So our value systems are different. That's okay with me.

But we've wandering off on a tangent. You asked, "How could the Golden Rule be the product of evolution, a process which demands and rewards inequality?" I think that question has been answered. Questions like "Is it a good idea to be so selfless that you would die for somebody else's moment of clarity?" are interesting side points, but they are way beyond the golden rule. The fact is, I wouldn't want you to die in order to give me an epiphany, hence I wouldn't do the same for you. There's your golden rule.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.