No. of Recommendations: 42
Well, chris319 (a registered fool since May 2000), maybe the regulars are exasperated by the newbies coming to the advanced board and a) asking basic questions that are of a level appropriate for the non-advanced board (i.e., Foolish Workshop), b) not bothering to click and read the FAQ link prominantly displayed at the top of the page, and hence c) wasting our time. Oh, yes---and asking questions that have been asked and answered about once a month for the last two years.

So, you think you should be able to just walk up to Tiger Woods and Ernie Els while they are working and ask them newbie questions like "what's a birdie?", and they should drop what they're doing and attend to your every desire and whim?

Sure baby, anything to please you.

Ray

As for your comment a), it has been pointed out many times in the past that the names for these boards can be misleading. It is likely that, from time to time, a new person would come to the "advanced" board first. Regarding b), it is a matter of opinion whether the FAQ link is prominently displayed. Point c) might have more credibility if it weren't for all the posts about Belize, the rah-rah types, etc. The occasional single question by a newcomer and a single courteous answer take far less time to click through than all of the sanctioned noise.

Would I walk up to Tiger Woods while he was working and ask him a question? Of course not. On the other hand, if Tiger Woods was participating in a message board like this, when he wasn't working, it would be fine. Especially since I have the impression that Tiger Woods is a nice person. I'm not sure that applies to everyone here.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.