No. of Recommendations: 4
Well, Gnobility, I do not think that following some of the mechanical trading systems that can be developed using FastBreak and Trade is particularly difficult. Furthermore, you have lots of help on the FT-TALJ Forum.

However, this brings up an interesting point. When you take a course at the University in ZZZ, does the professor say that he wants, at the end of the course, for you to be an "ordinary" practitioner of ZZZ? Does he not hope that by taking the course you will be superior, as opposed to ordinary? Would you pay tuition so that you could be "ordinary"? I hope that my children, whose tuitions I am paying, will not end up "ordinary" for the prices I am paying.

Yet people give talks and write columns all the time in which they say "for the ordinary investor, do the following..." Somehow in investing, one is supposed to strive for being ordinary.

Scott Burns admitted to me that he used to think he knew how to trade. For a while, he was successful. Then he stopped being successful. So he decided it was too hard, and made some money in real estate instead. He also seems to have decided that since he could not figure out how to trade successfully, others should not try. So he has his "couch potato" portfolio.

Now if somebody fails at something there are (at least) two different approaches: (1) Give up and decide it is to hard to figure out, or (2) Figure out what you did wrong, and then correct those mistakes.

Make your own choices, but I think that if some people spent half the energy on learning to trade that they now spend either bad-mouthing real estate or recommending it (just to give one example - there are others), then their results might improve. Or maybe not. There is a lot of energy on this board, and it certainly could be focused differently.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.