No. of Recommendations: 2
Well, good....no kids....no need for schools and education dollars. And likely those folks pay state taxes and real estate taxes that partly fund education.

I agree with most of what you said, but the above is my biggest issue.

Who SHOULD be funding schools and education dollars? Only those that actually have kids in school? If so, why use tax dollars at all? Should the "inner city minority students" you mentioned get less education because their neighborhoods are less able to fund the schools?

In TX, the county assess a 'school tax'. But the state also provides money from education from state taxes collected. The school tax is upon everyone in the county...

From what I see on the Internet, TX allow seniors to avoid education taxes, or at least part of the funding that goes into education (e.g. school bonds)? Or do I have that wrong?

Many retirees can afford to "shop" for counties that have little (or no) education taxes. Just as they can "shop" for other taxes. At one point, I was looking at retiring to Las Vegas because of no state income taxes. That meant I could defer Minnesota state taxes via 401K and IRA until I moved to a state without income taxes.

======================================

But, yes, there are lots of issues that require more or less money in various school districts. To me, distribution of funding and collection of funding should be independent of each other, except for the fact that they have to come out to the same total.

I guess I could say the same for health care?

In the end, the issue is how to equitably fund the system and dispense the services. There will be no way that everyone agrees on, on either side, funding or dispensing. You mentioned a number of complications. And everyone will have their hand out, claiming they need more. And many will be saying they can't afford to pay that much.

Some old, same old. :(
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.