No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, here goes my first post, so excuse any minor mishaps that may occur along the way.

I'll post my question first, followed by my story, so hopefully someone can give me some feedback on the questions even if they skip the rest.

1. First and foremost, I'm planning on using the cash management services pretty heavily. Can anyone tell me if I can deposit checks made out to me in the brokerage account, or do I need to keep a seperate account somewhere else and transfer funds from one to the other? In other words, is the brokerage account in my name or Amex's?

2. More generally, how have current users found the cash management aspect of the service? Online billpay, direct deposit, transfers, etc?

3. Has anyone noticed that you need to register multiple times with multiple logins and passwords to access the full array of services on the Amex site? Once for the Brokerage account, again for News/Research area, again for online bill pay, again for the credit card area, again for the airline/travel finder, etc etc. I don't feel entirely comfortable with this, as I'm already being harrassed by Amex "courtesy calls", and have a feeling all these registrations will exponentially increase the amount of junk mail, junk email, solicitation calls I receive. Any idea if they'll start linking all these areas into one homogenous "AmexZone"?

Now, on to my story:

I signed up for Amex Brokerage online about 18 days ago now, and at the time was not automatically approved, but that someone would contact me in the next few days. Well, I waited four days, and after hearing from nobody, called Amex up and asked about the status of my application, to which they replied that I had been approved instantly and the paperwork was on the way. They could not explain why I was not given approval online, but no harm no foul right?

So after four more days (eight since application), I received a login ID in the mail, but no password, which was supposed to arrive in a seperate envelope at the same time. Called Amex up again, they gave me a temporary password that didn't work. Two days later (ten days since initial app) received the password in the mail, which naturally didn't work. Called Amex up again, they gave me a new password again which actually worked. So now I've got access to my account, but of course no money in it, because I didn't receive any forms to fill out for an account transfer. Downloaded those forms a few days ago and have sent them in, and now am waiting for a response (I presume I'll be contacted when the transfer occurs).

Can't say I'm thrilled to date, however I think some problems could have been averted if I knew the account opening process in advance, and I must say customer support via the phone has been excellent, both from the regular customer service guys, and the financial representatives, although I can never really tell who I should be speaking to for any given question.

Hope to hear from some of you!

Alex
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.