No. of Recommendations: 1
Well, here is a successful market timer.

>>>>>

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Master stock market timer Paul Desmond warned clients to get out of stocks ahead of the October 1987 crash. More recently he proclaimed, also correctly, that stocks would carve out new lows this year.

Market timing, as Wall Street lore goes, is a futile exercise for individual investors. But such prescient calls have earned a strong following for Desmond, president of the Florida-based Lowry's Reports Inc., the 64-year-old market timing service that boasts a top notch client list.

<<<<<

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/020901/column_profile_1.html

In my opinion, it is important to learn from experience, and to recognize one's mistakes. If, for example, I had sold in 1996, I certainly would not have put my money in CDs. I would have put my money into something more liquid. When I was proved wrong, I would have been back in the market.

Any good market timing system has checks and balances to correct mistakes. Mistakes are probably unavoidable, but they do not have to last since 1996.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.