Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, he's taking the exemption this year, so I don't see why he would care - unless only one of us can take the C&DC credit? Is that the case?

Correct. Only the custodial parent is allowed to take the credit. In fact, the only time one can claim the credit for a nondependent child is when the custodial parent has given the dependency exemption to the noncustodial parent.

Hence your question about Dad, of course. Ok, well scratch that deduction this year - and thanks for keeping me from a mistake!

Is it just me, or does Turbotax seem to have less supporting information each year (wait, don't answer that..)? ;-)

One more related question - when it's our turn to take the exemption for Daughter, we've always had Dad sign form 8332 (Release of Claim of Exemption), something he feels is unnecessary (but I'd rather dot all i's, etc). This year, Turbotax offers what looks like a similar kind of document, "Multiple Support Declaration" (form 2120). I'm pretty sure we don't need it this year as we're not taking the exemption, but I don't remember seeing it before.

Is that new, and will we need to deal with that next year when it's our turn to take the exemption? So far, we've had a pretty simple situation - we each have joint custody, have Daughter 50% of the time, and take turns with her exemption (and dependent care deductions) with no apparent problems.

Thanks again, Phil!
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.