Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Well, I am trying this NaNoWriMo thing. Just hit 13,000 words today. I got a second job for the holidays though, and I'm not skipping out on going out with friends or family or my SO to sit and write. Oh, yeah, and I'm starting to work out again. So my time to write is steadily shrinking. I want to write, I like writing, I want to be the creative soul I used to be, really I do! I am wishing I had a laptop though, that would make things a little easier.

As for how I approached it: I am not driving myself to reach 50,000 words. If I was still writing like I used to, I'd have no problem with that. Since I have not written steadily since I graduated college (my favorite time to write has always been during class!), I am aiming much lower. I'd be seriously impressed with myself if I hit 30K by the end of the month. I'm using NaNoWriMo as an effort to get myself back into writing. I miss it, from age 10-23, it was my passion. Some days I felt I had more characters than actual thoughts in my head. Writing was what I was compelled to do, it was both my escape and my demon. I always had so many thoughts in my head though, it was not till I was taking a fiction writing class in college that I actually finished a story.

Usually I'd develop a story mentally for a couple days or so, and spend every moment I had to spare or could steal to get out as fast as my hands could write it (didn't use a computer to write till I was in college) and get it as far as I could and then I'd have another story spinning that I needed to get out. So my writing has always just been going forward with every intention of revising it later. I've had stories where I've written "middle scenes" and endings as well as beginning and just never got to connecting them. I've had the writing "process" driven into my head so many times through school that I'd never expect anything I write to be perfect or need to find the perfect word, the perfect name before moving on. That stuff comes in later drafts to me.

As for my progress: My novel is getting better. When I started writing it, my heroine started driving me nuts. She was the free thinking, independant, wandering-through-life soul I wanted but with her own little kinks. But she's straightening out and behaving in a more ethical fashion. It's weird to admit that characters in my head take on their own life outside of what I had imagined once they get to paper but its true. Anyhow, I am hoping that my shopping afterwork will not take too long and I get to 15K before I go to bed tonight. Tomorrow is gym, work 1, work 2 so I doubt I'll have time to write then.

liss
practicing her rusty time maangement skills
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.