No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, I now know why the program was stopped, thanx for the clarification; America was losing its workforce, and workman's comp claims were increasing, due to shoulder injuries from all the arm-twisting done by their employers, in order to get them to sign up for mIRA.

Regardless of the mIRA program: Many people have government bonds in their portfolios. Are you suggesting thats a bad thing?? I have not owned any 30-year coupon-paying bonds in a very long time...but I still have some zeros that I bought way back when, which will be maturing soon.

Sure, probably every equity index will outperform government bonds in the long run. Government bonds should not be one's only investment for the long term. But have you ever noticed the ages of some of these people still working? You think they should put their 401's into SPY, when they hope to be using it in the next 2 to 3 years?

My main point was....out of all the government bonds available to us...from the shortest T-bill to the long bond....none of them offer the risk/reward ratio of these special bonds in the Thrift Savings Plan that are only available to government employees. The mIRA program opened it up to most everyone that has earned income. I was sorry to see that door get shut.

I believed some bank was the custodian for the mIRA accounts, not TreasuryDirct. But I'm not sure.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.