Skip to main content
Update
The boards are getting a new home!

We're pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards.

Sunday, September 25th: We are migrating the boards to a new platform. The site is currently in read-only mode and we will bring it back online as soon as the migration is complete.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Click below to continue the discussion on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
well, i suppose that i'm not in all that much of a "hurry" to pay them off, but the thought of lowering my interest rate seems like a great opportunity to leave a bit more money in my pocket each month, which i could use to pay down the debt faster or invest in something else.

my wife and i have been very much LBOM for the past year, and we've managed to eliminate all consumer debt that we had built up for things like paying for our wedding, etc. we've even managed to sock enough money away to save up a few months living expenses and consider making a downpayment on a home. not our dream home, but a start anyway.

since i graduated college i've dreamed about the day on which i'd be debt free (funny as i consider taking a 30-year mortage!), but as someone mentioned on this board, almost everyone is in some kind of debt at all times, we just have to manage it. i have read quite a few good posts since discovering this board today, and i think the idea of keeping the school loans as a "soft" loan is a good perspective that i hadn't thought of. still, i'll probably stick with my overall investment strategy which has been:

1. 15% into 401k
2. $2000/year into Roth IRA
3. ~$2000 per year extra payments on student loans
4. savings for home down payment
5. long term investment other than retirement

but anyway if i can indeed take advantage of a lower rate, i'd probably feel even better about not paying back the loan early, and just throwing money at the other categories.

i've got some more reading to do about what/when/where my options are (i'm going to seriously look into it since you said i'd be eligible), but perhaps i could pick your brain just a bit more ...

what's the catch on these "deals"? are the rates fixed, or variable? (my current rates are variable anyway). i usually find that if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. but this could be an exception. what lenders/consolidaters/programs would you recommend i look into?

thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

-lusitan

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.