Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, I think you need to change tacts. To formally challenge something on your credit report I believe you need to do this in writing, and not on the phone. You need to write Equifax (also the other two reporting companies Experian and TransUnion) and formally challenge this entry in your credit report. I don't think a phone conversation will cut it becuase there aren't any written records. Those credit companies won't actually do anything based on a phone conversation. Anyways it is easier to keep track of things by regular mail. You should get a letter back saying if your challenge was successful or not.

If that does not work, you can either go to court or write a memorandum in your own words explaining your position on this charge and have it attached to that entry in your credit report. This memo will show up on your credit report.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.